5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
looks/sounds good (Far Realm not Far Plane)

ok published here - but saving throw bonuses box cannot be annotated at all, so not sure how to do this

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
looks/sounds good (Far Realm not Far Plane)

I consider the terms synonymous, but am fine with whichever you prefer.

Updating the Derro Chaos Savant.

ok published here - but saving throw bonuses box cannot be annotated at all, so not sure how to do this

It can't be helped.

Just put WIS +4 without the note I guess.

I've blued the Enworld version and will update the Indexes once I double check it and the D&D Beyond update.

Cleon

Legend

Just have to leave out the " (due to mad insight)" from Saving Throws I guess, but can you increase it to WIS +4?

There are multiple differences with the final version on Enworld.

The Innate Spellcasting and Multiattack have "chaos savant" in D&D Beyond and ""derro chaos savant" in Enworld. It was simpler to change Derro Chaos Savant so they match, so I did that.

As for the rest, it's easier to Quote the Derro Chaos Savant and cut out everything but the differences, which I'll tag with red.

Armor Class 16 (armor of the insane)

Saving Throws WIS +4
Skills Arcana +9, Perception +3 (due to mad insight), Stealth +5

Magic Resistance. The derro has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the derro has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Actions

Bolt of Chaos. Ranged Spell Attack: +7 to hit, range 120 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (4d6) damage of a random type (roll d4: 1=necrotic, 2=poison, 3=cold, 4=lightning) and the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. If they fail, the target suffers a special effect that depends on the bolt's damage type:

Mind Scourge. The chaos savant targets one creature within 60 feet, who takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage and must make a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw. If the save fails, then at the start of the target's next turn it must choose between taking an additional 10 (3d6) psychic damage or being stunned until the end of that turn.

Window to Madness (Recharge 5-6). The chaos savant targets one creature within 60 feet. The targeted creature must succeed at a DC 15 Wisdom or Charisma saving throw (target's choice) or take 10 (3d6) psychic damage and become crazed for 1 minute. All other creatures within 10 feet of the creature targeted by Window to Madness must succeed at a DC 15 Wisdom or Charisma saving throw (creature's choice) or take 5 (1d10) psychic damage and be crazed until the end of their next turn. Derro are immune to psychic damage caused by Window to Madness but can become crazed.
 A crazed creature has disadvantage on any ability check to interact socially with creatures who are not crazed or insane (such as derro).
 The crazed target must make a DC 15 Wisdom or Charisma saving throw (target's choice) at the start of each turn, ending the effect on itself on a success. If the save fails, the target must choose whether to take 5 (1d10) psychic damage or become Dancing Mad (see below) until the start of its next turn. If the target fails the saving throw by 5 or more, it takes 5 (1d10) psychic damage and is Dancing Mad that turn.

Bonus Actions

Dance of Madness. The chaos savant targets a creature within 130 feet that is crazed by one of its Madness attacks. Each creature in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on that target must succeed at a DC 15 Wisdom or Charisma saving throw (creature's choice) or take 5 (1d10) psychic damage and become crazed and dancing mad (see above) until the start of its next turn. Derro are immune to psychic damage caused by Dance of Madness.

Strength of Madness (Recharge 4-6). Until the end of the chaos savant's turn, the savant gains advantage on melee attack rolls and its melee weapons do an additional 4 (1d8) damage if they hit.

Cleon

Legend
here is updated

I can't change the WIS save bonus, nor can I denote (due to mad insight) after perception, so dunno what to do about those

So does D&D Beyond force you to put +1 in the WIS Save.

Can you double-proficiency it?

That's unfortunate, but there's not much we can do about it.

We can do without the "(due to mad insight)" after Perception since at least it can be set it to +3.

Cleon

Legend
Yes frustrating.

So what editing options does D&D Beyond permit for Saving Throws?

If it only allows standard Save Proficiency (i.e. Ability Modifier plus Proficiency Bonus) there's nothing we can do for the actual saving throw line.

That seems odd, since it'd prevent the creation of beings with non-proficiency bonuses to their saves, such as a NPC wearing a ring of protection, which doesn't seem a desirable feature.

If you could double-proficiency to its WIS save then it'd become +4, which at least is the right number as it matches its CHA save.

Yes frustrating. other workaround is to (I guess) tweak to say CHA +4 and say it applies to WIS saves...?

Do you mean you can put its non-proficient CHA +4 modifier in Saving Throws? That seems strange.

Maybe rephrase Mad Insight to include the adjusted Wisdom save?

Might as well include the adjusted Perception as well, like so:

Mad Insight. The derro chaos savant can use its Charisma modifier for Wisdom saving throws (giving it a WIS +4 save) and its Intelligence modifier for Perception skill checks (giving it Perception +3) if that's better than using its Wisdom modifier.​

Remove ads