5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

Cleon

Legend
yes....is 1d6 a bit measly for damage though? If you reckon ok happy to leave it as such

It's the poisoned condition that matters since it inflicts Disadvantage on attack rolls, the damage was merely token.

Remember, it needs to fit our "10.5 DPR per Legendary Action" rule of thumb and if it's an AoE the damage counts as double.

We could do 1d8 or 1d10 but any higher than that would be well over our target figure.

Indeed, I'd originally thought about having it do no damage at all and just make the target feel sickly from breathing the toxic fumes, but decided I liked a bit of damage too.

Besides, for the higher damage version it can use Tail-Flick for 3d6 damage.

We could make it a single target attack, which'd justify higher damage.

Something like:

Trunk-Snort. The gurgohemoth puffs toxic gas at a single creature within 30 feet. The creature must make a DC 22 Constitution saving throw. On a failed roll they take 11 (2d10) poison damage and are poisoned for 5 (1d10) rounds, on a successful one they take half as much damage and are not poisoned. Poisoned targets can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of their turns, ending the poisoned condition with a success. Gurgohemoths and gurgotches are immune to this attack.​

Hmm, I might like that a bit better than the previous 10-foot cloud version.

Which do you prefer?

Cleon

Legend
Ok - aligned up - but I can't see

Siege Monster. The gurgohemoth deals double damage to objects and structures. (ported in from gurgotch)?

The Gurgotch doesn't have Siege Monster, but I have no objection to adding it to the Gurgohemoth since I vaguely recall we were planning on giving it that trait.

Updated the Gurgohemoth.

Cleon

Legend
Okay, Earsplitting Trumpet is the next action to sort out alphabetically so we might as well do that next.

Okay, I was thinking it's a sonic attack that stuns and/or deafens creatures within an Area of Effect but I'm divided as to what the AoE should be. I was thinking either a circle centered on the gurgohemoth or a cone emanating from the gurgohemoth (issuing from its trunk, presumably).

I'm wondering about making it a multiple action Legendary to justify giving it some sonic damage as well as the deafening/stunning effect.

Oh, and I also was thinking it should be a Recharge power too.

As written, it currently would be able to use it three times a round as its listed as a single Legendary Action, which would give the gurgohemoth three chances to stun the PCs.

That'd seem unbalancing and not much fun for the players, as it'd be easy for the gurgohemoth to stun-lock the entire party.

If it could only do in once every three rounds or so (i.e. Recharge 5-6) that'd prevent that.

Cleon

Legend
yeah recharge 5-6... aaand thunder damage?

Oh yes, they changed the energy type's name from sonic to thunder in 5E.

Anyhow, Recharge 5-6 works for me, do you prefer a cone or circle for the AoE?

I'm thinking:

Earsplitting Trumpet (Recharge 5-6)[Cone]. The gurgohemoth uses its trunk as a magical trumpet. Each creature within a 90-foot[?] cone and able to hear the trumpet must make a DC 22 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 13 (2d12) thunder damage and is deafened for 5 (1d10) rounds, and if the creature is size Large or smaller it is also stunned for 1 round. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't deafened or stunned. Gurgohemoths and gurgotches are immune to this attack.​
Earsplitting Trumpet (Recharge 5-6)[Circle]. The gurgohemoth uses its trunk as a magical trumpet. Each creature within 60[?] feet of the gurgohemoth and able to hear the trumpet must make a DC 22 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 13 (2d12) thunder damage and is deafened for 5 (1d10) rounds, and if the creature is size Large or smaller it is also stunned for 1 round. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't deafened or stunned. Gurgohemoths and gurgotches are immune to this attack.​
Legendary Actions
Trumpet of Doom (Costs 3 Actions). The gurgohemoth broadcasts an Earsplitting Trumpet.​

While I like the cone AoE just for the mental image of it "blowing its trunk and blasting creatures in front of it with the sound", I used the Roar attacks of the Androsphinx and Dragonne) as models and they are both circle AoEs.

I also wonder whether we should increase the range. I set the cone to 90 feet to match an Ancient Red Dragon's breath weapon and eyeballed the circular version as having two-thirds the radius.

The Sphinx's roar is 500 feet radius and the Dragonne's is 120 feet.

The Dragonne Roar seems closer to our monster, as it can use it every 1d4 rounds rather than it being an ultrapotent X/day ability like the Androsphinx Roar.

So maybe we should use "Each creature within 200 feet of the gurgohemoth" for the AoE or possibly "Each creature within a 300-foot cone" or thereabouts?

We could tweak it a bit to, say, a 120/150/180 foot circle or a 180/200/240 foot cone?

I guess we could combine the two and let the gurgohemoth choose whether to affect a cone or a circle, like so:

Earsplitting Trumpet (Recharge 5-6)[Combined & Expanded]. The gurgohemoth uses its trunk as a magical trumpet. The trumpet affects each creature within 200[?] feet of the gurgohemoth or a 300-foot[?] cone, as the gurgohemoth chooses. Each creature in that area able to hear the trumpet must make a DC 22 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 13 (2d12) thunder damage and is deafened for 5 (1d10) rounds, and if the creature is size Large or smaller it is also stunned for 1 round. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't deafened or stunned. Gurgohemoths and gurgotches are immune to this attack.​

Which works for you the best?

Remove ads