• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Zero to Hero: Ability Score Increases every level?

There's been a lot of discussions on ability score increases and ability generation methods, so I set to thinking about one that would enhance the "zero to hero" vibe of D&D and hopefully still be enjoyable to play. I would be interested to see which of you would actually like to play a game using the method below, or something similar with your own personal touches.

The method:
At level 1, PC stats are all 10, with no racial modifiers. They may change one stat to an 8 and another to a 12 if they wish. Then at each level up, the play can add a +1 to two stats of their choice to represent their hero growing through their experiences (these must be different stats). This also applies to normal ASI levels. At ASI levels, the character must instead choose a feat. If they wish to choose a feat that grants a stat boost, that's fine.

Below is a table showing the total of all 6 ability score. It assumes a no racial bonuses with a standard array using non fighter progression, and that under the standard levelling, the character chooses an ASI over a feat at each time.

LevelStandard array2 x +1 / level
1​
72​
60​
2​
62​
3​
64​
4​
77​
66​
5​
68​
6​
70​
7​
72​
8​
79​
74​
9​
76​
10​
78​
11​
80​
12​
81​
82​
13​
84​
14​
86​
15​
88​
16​
83​
90​
17​
92​
18​
94​
19​
96​
20​
98​

As you can see by the table, a starting character is much worse off than a character generated under a normal array. They only catch up around 8-10th level (depending on how many ASI vs feats are taken). By 13th level this method eclipses a standard method of ability score improvements - whether this is a problem or not is depending on personal taste and it can easily be capped or reduced at a certain level.

If we look at what this means for a primary ability score and its total bonus progression, we can see that we start a total of +3 vs a +5 bonus at level 1. This gap closes at level 7, and then follows the same path from level 9 onwards. In fact, the main effect of having more overall bonus points would be seen in classes that are MAD, as it will allow them to over time more easily max out several ability scores.
LevelProficiencyStd. array max scoreTotal bonus2 x +1 Max scoreTotal bonus
1​
2​
17​
5​
12​
3​
2​
2​
17​
5​
13​
3​
3​
2​
17​
5​
14​
4​
4​
2​
19​
6​
15​
4​
5​
3​
19​
7​
16​
6​
6​
3​
19​
7​
17​
6​
7​
3​
19​
7​
18​
7​
8​
3​
20​
8​
19​
7​
9​
4​
20​
9​
20​
9​
10​
4​
20​
9​
20​
9​
11​
4​
20​
9​
20​
9​
12​
4​
20​
9​
20​
9​
13​
5​
20​
10​
20​
10​
14​
5​
20​
10​
20​
10​
15​
5​
20​
10​
20​
10​
16​
5​
20​
10​
20​
10​
17​
6​
20​
11​
20​
11​
18​
6​
20​
11​
20​
11​
19​
6​
20​
11​
20​
11​
20​
6​
20​
11​
20​
11​

So in final, what do you think the effects would be on the above, and do you think it would work towards enhancing a zero to hero theme of a D&D campaign?

M_Natas

Hero
The first levels would be way deadlier. The problem is, that the encounters are balanced for the Standard Array. AC and Hitpoints for Monsters would be way to high, because they are balanced for Characters who have +4 or 5 to hit at lvl. 1. In Your system a Character could only hope to have a +2/+3 to hit. So you can't use the existing encounterbuilding rules and would need to rebalance them at lower levels.

The first levels would be way deadlier. The problem is, that the encounters are balanced for the Standard Array. AC and Hitpoints for Monsters would be way to high, because they are balanced for Characters who have +4 or 5 to hit at lvl. 1. In Your system a Character could only hope to have a +2/+3 to hit. So you can't use the existing encounterbuilding rules and would need to rebalance them at lower levels.

Lessons from Dwarf Fortress: Losing is fun.

Yes it makes lower levels tougher. Some people like this.

Also, I have never used the encounter building rules in my life in any version of D&D.

In any case, the lower levels typically pass quite quickly, and it's very easy to tone down fights if you want to take things easier on your players.

dregntael

Explorer
Very cool idea, though I'd allow players to use point buy with a greatly reduced total (say 9 points instead of the usual 27) to allow for some more diversity at level 1. Another idea to reinforce the zero-to-hero feeling would be to let the maximum for each ability score scale with level as well, maybe the maximum could be 14 + level/2.

EDIT: If you want a real zero-to-hero feeling then just changing the character's stats is not enough, you also need to reinforce the theme through the story. So really make them struggle against super-weak enemies at low levels, to make them enjoy their awesome power at high levels all the more.

Very cool idea, though I'd allow players to use point buy with a greatly reduced total (say 9 points instead of the usual 27) to allow for some more diversity at level 1. Another idea to reinforce the zero-to-hero feeling would be to let the maximum for each ability score scale with level as well, maybe the maximum could be 14 + level/2.

EDIT: If you want a real zero-to-hero feeling then just changing the character's stats is not enough, you also need to reinforce the theme through the story. So really make them struggle against super-weak enemies at low levels, to make them enjoy their awesome power at high levels all the more.
Reduced point buy is a good idea. I think I was coming from the idea of using the 5e commoner stat block - so starting PCs really do start as commoners.

My other idea I'm toying with that's attached to this is effectively a half HP progression + full heal up after combat in order to create a really rough time for the lower levels ("oh no it's a goblin!" "how many?", "just one!")

I like the concept, but I would probably start off a bit higher in scores, and do a ASI +1 every other level, as @dregntael mentions.
Yesh there's definately a big component of personal taste in any method.

I like the idea of starting as a commoner with comoner stats, and the first levels would be terrible, with a +3 at best. Thankfully the first few levels pass quickly and show a fairly rapid increase, leading up to a +6 by level 5. As bounded accuracy is quite tight in 5e, you'd need to stsrt low if you want to emphasise the zero to hero feel from a bonus to roll point of view.

I chose an increase each level to achieve the idea of progression and meaningful choice. The player can boost stats as makes sense for their character, geting stronger, smarter, wiser through their experiences.

Lastly I chose 2 lots of +1 boosts (cribbing the idea of shadow of the demon lord) as it means you can incresse your primary stat and then think about where to put your other boost, and because it works better mathematically with a lower stsrting array.

aco175

Legend
This seems to create something similar to the standard stat array. Everyone would just put a 12 in the primary stat and boost that one every level until that hits 20 at 8th level and one or two other stats leaving one at 18 or two at 14. Higher levels will start to boost the rest, but most campaigns do not last much past 10-12th level.

I like the initial idea overall. Maybe there is a way to tweak it to be easier or more varies somehow. I was thinking boosting the base start scores and +1 every other level, but that would just be like the +2 every 4 levels. Is there also some way to still gain feats this way if you want to skip the bump at 4th and 8th level. Certainly worth looking into.

Remove ads