Yuan Ti and allies thread (Ti-Khana critters)

Cleon

Legend
Ripping away…

An enormous flying reptile whose wingspan can exceed 30 feet, a ti-khana giant pterosaur bears little resemblance to any natural pterosaur. They can vary greatly in appearance depending on the whims and donor creatures the yuan-ti used to create them. A typical yuan-ti giant pterosaur resembles an oversized Pteranodon with teeth lining its long stabbing beak and a tail that ends in a triangular stabilizer. The pterosaur usually has naked leathery skin covered in small scales, but some have bodies covered in feather-hair like a normal pterosaur. It does not have the flat-soled hind feet of a Pteranodon, which are rather human-like and built for walking, but raptorial taloned feet like a hawk's.
Flying Attack Dogs. Ti-khana giant pterosaurs are often used as attack beasts by yuan-ti, who train them to respond to whistles or flag signals.
Winged Predators. A ti-khana giant pterosaur is a carnivore and they are not fussy about what flesh they eat, whether it's a living victim or decaying carrion. They normally hunt prey of Medium size or smaller, preferring Small creatures the size of sheep. The giant pterosaur is able to seize victims of up to human size in its hawk-like talons and carry them into the air, where it will savage them with its jaws or hurl them to the ground. They also like to make flyby attacks: slashing with their beaks and flying away before their target can respond.
Aerial Mounts. Some elite yuan-ti ride ti-khana giant pterosaurs, usually using them as scouting and combat platforms. These creatures can carry up to 480 pounds through the air, the weight of a couple of Medium sized creatures, although they cannot carry fly very far with two creatures.
Feral Populations. Despite their wildly varying appearance and bloodlines, ti-khana pterosaurs are able to breed with others of their kind and lands of savage, mountainous jungle support wild populations of them. Feral ti-khana pterosaurs tend to slowly lose their ti-khana traits over the generations. Many have lost their Innate Spellcasting and/or Shapechanging abilities and are less intelligent than true ti-khana, with brains no more developed than a normal pterosaur's, but they often keep their other ti-khana traits such as Magic Resistance. No matter how devolved a feral ti-khana pterosaur becomes, it always retains its venomous bite.

Creatures of the Yuan-ti. [standard text]​

Got a bit carried away there. Plan to recycle some of the above for the Venomwing and War Pterosaurs.

Cleon

Legend
yeah venomwing sounds good

BTW....giant pterosaur here

It's also alphabetical: Giant, Venomwing, War.

Would consider the 5E Tome of Horrors' Pterodactyl as a foundation.

Come to think of it, we were going to do a Venomwing Swarm but I forgot to do a Working Draft for one! Better fix that…

…OK, I'll repurposed one of my old posts to be the Ti-khana Venomwing Pterosaur Swarm.

The original post was:

Okay - musing on this....you're right about "artistic licence" and "realism"...let's make a giant venomwing (mwahahahhahaaaaa)

One thing at a time!

We can always do a Large lowish CR riding pterodactyl (Ti-khana Giant Pterosaur), a Huge Ti-khana war pterosaur (the "Giant Venomwing") and a Tiny spy/swarm/familiar pterosaur (Venomwing).

Just need to decide which we're statting up first.

That way all the Ti-khana Pterosaurs are on page 4 of this thread.

Cleon

Legend
ok ...gotta sleep now...

G'night!

I'll begin some musing.

I'm thinking we ought to aim for Challenge 1/8 like a Blood Hawk or Flying Snake.

Indeed, we might borrow some elements from the Blood Hawk like Pack Tactics. If we're doing a Swarm of Venomwings then presumably they're social critters that might have that trait.

The Flying Snake would be another useful model. I'm visualizing these critters as resembling a cross between a snake and a bat with a razorlike blade for a beak, serrated with incredibly tiny and incredibly sharp teeth.

Let's start with the block above the Ability Scores:

Tiny monstrosity (shapechanger), neutral evil
Would consider Small like a Blood Hawk but prefer them Tiny like the other monster models.

Armor Class 13 or 14
Either DEX (+3 or +4) or (natural armor) with DEX (+2 or +3) and +1 natural armor (NA).
 I prefer DEX (+3) like a Poisonous Snake (maybe with +1 NA) or DEX (+4) like a Flying Snake.

Hit Points 5 (2d4)
So CON (+0) for an ability score of 10 or 11.

Speed 10 ft., fly 50 ft. or 60 ft. (30 ft. in snake form)
The 3rd-Party 5E Pterodactyl and Archaeopteryx have fly 50 ft., the Blood Hawk and Flying Snake have fly 60 ft.
 Not decided which I prefer (I keep on vacillating between the two). Heck, Pterosaurs are highly evolved fliers, unlike Archaeopteryx, so I'll lean towards the 60.

Last edited:

Remove ads