• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why is There No Warlord Equivalent in 5E?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
In this very thread, multiple people who like the Warlord concept are arguing about how it should be implemented.

It seems like you have just sort of decided that they are somehow outliers and "90%" of all the Warlord fans in the world agree with you. Convenient, that.
Read what I said again.

I said if you propose a Warlord CLASS, 90% or fans who would like a Warlord CLASS suggest the same thing.

If you propose Warlord SUBCLASS, everyone disagrees

If you propose the option of class, fighter subclass, bard subclass, refluff, or mutliclass, everyone disagrees.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Seems kind of OP at least at lower levels.

Which really seems par for course. Warlord fans want to be able to cause the damage of a barbarian/fighter/ranger/paladin while healing like a cleric, while having high cha and/or int for skills, while buffing party initiative, attacks rolls and positioning allies. All in the 3-4 rounds of combat a typical encounter lasts.
Laserllama has alternate versions of most of the PHB classes at this point, so the balance point tends to be focused on balance between their own classes.

That being said, I don't think any of their classes are way off balance wise.

It's mostly a DM vs Player issue.

Most homebrew isn't widely known.

So a DM knowing of Laserllama's Warlord allowing is is more likely to happen than showing a 5+ page nonCore PDF file in your DM's face as a player.
Aren’t most of the people on this forum DMs? So if they like a 3pp class they can simply give it to the players as an option.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Read what I said again.

I said if you propose a Warlord CLASS, 90% or fans who would like a Warlord CLASS suggest the same thing.

If you propose the option of class, fighter subclass, bard subclass, refluff, or mutliclass, everyone disagrees.
What happens is that when power level has to get reigned in the things everyone wants the warlord to do has to start being cut and different people want to keep different aspects and focuses.

Read what I said again.

Those numbers are really pulled out of your hat.

Good thing: noone suggested a subclass in this thread.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Aren’t most of the people on this forum DMs? So if they like a 3pp class they can simply give it to the players as an option.
What if you want to be a player for once

Those numbers are really pulled out of your hat.

Good thing: noone suggested a subclass in this thread.
People literally keep saying and have said in this thread that it is a fighter subclass.

Sure you can do them in other other classes if you ignore the issues

And that's why Warlord never gets the design spaces.

There are 2 design paradigm

"Refluff and Ignore"
This is "Play a cleric or bard and pretend Haste and Healing Word aren't magic"

and

"Acknowledge and Design"
This is "Those are magic spells. My ex-General of the Imperial Army doesn't cast spells. They buff troops without magic. We never a new subsystem "

Why is there no Warlord in 5e?

5e is very anti-subsystem beyond magic spells and magic items.
I don't think it's anti-subsystem, I have a book with a bunch of them coming out soon.

Seems kind of OP at least at lower levels.

Which really seems par for course. Warlord fans want to be able to cause the damage of a barbarian/fighter/ranger/paladin while healing like a cleric, while having high cha and/or int for skills, while buffing party initiative, attacks rolls and positioning allies. All in the 3-4 rounds of combat a typical encounter lasts.
I've ran several of these in my games from levels 1-10 and 3-10 and they've never been OP. On top of that, it has been through well over 20 rounds of edits and a huge amount of playtesting from his patreon and other strangers on Reddit and discord. While it doesn't have 500K playtests behind it, I can assure you it is balanced and does nothing to disrupt the game.

Remove ads