• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E What does Pathfinder lack?

Weiley31

Legend
Yeah advantage/disadvantage is The great innovation of 5e, it works well for everything and makes the game more fun.
Totally agree. Honestly my fave aspect of the 5E ruleset.

That being said, I've heard many a people say you can "replicate" the same sort of deal in 3.5/Pathfinder 2E/what not by representing Advantage as a +5 to a roll while Disadvantage would be considered a -5 to a roll.

Do I still prefer the Advantage/Disadvantage system of 5E to be used in those? Yes. Does the thought of including both ideas as a regular/super form of the concept? Tempted to say yes/include.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
That being said, I've heard many a people say you can "replicate" the same sort of deal in 3.5/Pathfinder 2E/what not by representing Advantage as a +5 to a roll while Disadvantage would be considered a -5 to a roll.
That would certainly not work in PF2. In fact it would be a big power up/down that I wouldn't recommend unless its a PC only thing.

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
I wouldn't even recommend it then. It slams into the rocks of how crits and fumbles are handled waaay too hard.
Yep, I started out with translating 5e advantage into a +5 circumstance bonus. Now, most of them are +2 status bonuses instead, with +5 circumstance being reserved for those sort of oddball PC-specific rare cases where I feel it is the best way to handle the translation.

Pedantic

Legend
Yep, I started out with translating 5e advantage into a +5 circumstance bonus. Now, most of them are +2 status bonuses instead, with +5 circumstance being reserved for those sort of oddball PC-specific rare cases where I feel it is the best way to handle the translation.
The fact that advantage can't push you past the RNG makes it difficult to translate into a flat bonus, as the value varies significantly based on how likely you are to succeed on the task in the first place. It might be cleaner to translate it as a floor on dice value than a flat bonus.

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
The fact that advantage can't push you past the RNG makes it difficult to translate into a flat bonus, as the value varies significantly based on how likely you are to succeed on the task in the first place. It might be cleaner to translate it as a floor on dice value than a flat bonus.

I think it is best to use the systems already present in Pathfinder to represent advantage. Even a +2 can turn a success into a critical success, or a critical failure into a regular failure, and that can be very significant. Imposing new rules on rolling just for the setting is likely to cause unnecessary grief.

Thomas Shey

Legend

While not untrue, its hard to think a situation can arise in 5e where Advantage is going to produce results less extreme than a +/-2.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I think it is best to use the systems already present in Pathfinder to represent advantage. Even a +2 can turn a success into a critical success, or a critical failure into a regular failure, and that can be very significant. Imposing new rules on rolling just for the setting is likely to cause unnecessary grief.

Yeah, people chronically underestimate how much impact even a +1 has; its much more noticeable once you're watching for it from a GM perspective.

Thomas Shey

Legend
A commoner class and other things related to being a commoner?

Are you picturing this used by a PC? Because there's extensive discussion in the DMG as to how to put together common NPCs, and more than one of the backgrounds is set up if you want to have that sort of background (my first PF2e character was the son of a stonemason and had some things to show that from his background).

Remove ads