• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are "essential" TTRPG mechanisms?

Maenalis

Explorer
A method of resolving disagreements about what happens next. That’s it.

“I shot you!”

“No, you didn’t!”

Roll for it. Flip for it. Draw a card for it. Whatever.

Almost everything can be determined by the fiction. What does the fiction dictate? Do that. Not sure what the fiction dictates? Insert randomizer here. You don’t need much more than that.
So what is Your essential mechanism? Is it a coin toss?
I understand that you defined a situation, but You didn't specify which one of the mechanisms you mentioned is your preferred one.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
If I want to kick in a door I use a strength check.
If I want to push/shove an opponent I use a grapple check.

Same thing, my character just practiced one (grappling) a lot of times so s/he has an advantage (skill bonus).

-

My character is a talented and experienced actor, so when s/he tries to imitate a voice s/he gets skill bonus on it.
My other character is an experienced con man and charmer, but didn't practice voice mimicking, so he only uses his ability bonus.
Both of them are very charismatic, but one is experienced in a skill, the other one not.
I'm not asking for examples, I'm asking why you consider it not merely preferable, but essential, to keep them separate? Why does kicking in a door have to be based off a fixed strength value and not a trained Brawn skill?

pawsplay

Hero
Concrete MECHANISMS please!

I am not asking about freeform.

You are asking what is essential. That is not the same as an example. An example of a mechanism might be, "You can only post an action three times a day, and if you interact with another player, you may not post a further action until they respond or a week has passed" (example rule from a forum game).

But Perception checks are not essential. Damage or injury is not essential. Skills are not essential. Attributes are not essential. Limits are not essential. No specific implementation is essential.

The only essential mechanisms are, generally, ways to represent the fiction, The World, the player characters, and the resolution of events with an unknown outcome. There also needs to be some imposition of time and space on the allowed actions.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
These are mine (where “essential” means that I really prefer to have it):
  • A conflict resolution process;
  • Currencies (in the game design sense);
  • Character customization; and
  • Explicit procedures and principles (especially for the GM).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Concrete MECHANISMS please!

I am not asking about freeform.
I’m reading the opening post and don’t understand how your list is concrete. For example - ‘Combat mechanisms’ sounds as abstract as ‘a limiter on what actions each character can do in response’.

Or was yours not intended to be concrete. I’m a little confused.

FrogReaver

So what is Your essential mechanism? Is it a coin toss?
I understand that you defined a situation, but You didn't specify which one of the mechanisms you mentioned is your preferred one.
If I may, what’s essential isn’t which mechanism resolves an action, but that there is some mechanism to resolve an action.

And for me, since I’m not the one you quoted, I don’t have a preference on coin, flips, dice rolls, drawing cards.

*I do draw my limits at boxing match because I would not ever succeed if that was the mechanism. **For some others this would probably be fine though.

FrogReaver

The only "essential" mechanic to a TTRPG is a predetermination of who has authority to make a narrative declaration "stick", and how that authority is transferred.

Every other mechanic in the game is just how to divvy that authority up in increasingly narrow narrative situations.
I’d push back a bit there. There are many ways to distribute authority and transfer it that to me would look nothing like an rpg.

I’d also say distribution of authority and transferring it is essential to all table top games. In monopoly I have authority over the car and you the dog. In magic the gathering, I normally have authority over playing cards from my deck (unless some mechanic allows you to). Etc.

The distribution of authority and transferring it isn’t unique to RPGs. So I guess I agree it’s essential in the same way it’s essential to monopoly or magic the gathering, but it’s not particularly explanatory about RPGs due to its applicability outside RPGs, IMO.

pawsplay

Hero
The only "essential" mechanic to a TTRPG is a predetermination of who has authority to make a narrative declaration "stick", and how that authority is transferred.

Every other mechanic in the game is just how to divvy that authority up in increasingly narrow narrative situations.

You also have to have player characters, The World, and someone to arbitrate on the mechanics.

Remove ads