• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord - Inspiring Word/Aid the Injured

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
IanB said:
Also compare to the cleric's Cure Light Wounds, which doesn't use a healing surge at all, but is daily instead of encounter.
Difficult to compare the two, at least with my lack of experience.

Zephyrus

First Post
It appears to be similar to the Cure wounds power of clerics granting what equates to an extra surge w/o spending a surge. I can definitely see times where having the extra healing that doesn't draw on a surge could be a life saver. such as when both word powers have been expended, targets already burned their second wind and is out of surges or their are too many enemies around to chance a heal check. The warlord version of this power is potentially more valuable than the cleric as the cleric has other things like healing lore to raise cleric driven healing surge HP healed values up even more. Consider that if used on a Wizard even a crummy roll on a healing word's 1d6 combined with healing lore could double the healing surge's base value at low levels.

IanB

First Post
Zephyrus said:
It appears to be similar to the Cure wounds power of clerics granting what equates to an extra surge w/o spending a surge. I can definitely see times where having the extra healing that doesn't draw on a surge could be a life saver. such as when both word powers have been expended, targets already burned their second wind and is out of surges or their are too many enemies around to chance a heal check. The warlord version of this power is potentially more valuable than the cleric as the cleric has other things like healing lore to raise cleric driven healing surge HP healed values up even more. Consider that if used on a Wizard even a crummy roll on a healing word's 1d6 combined with healing lore could double the healing surge's base value at low levels.

To be clear, the warlord version does expend a surge; that is why it is an encounter power while the cleric version is a daily.

Rystil Arden

First Post
IanB said:
To be clear, the warlord version does expend a surge; that is why it is an encounter power while the cleric version is a daily.
Yup. As a low-level Cleric, I would have definitely taken Aid the Injured as my level 2 Utility just to get another heal per encounter. CLW isn't worth it though vis-a-vis the other level 2 Cleric utilities, since it is only 1/day (and usually the person I want to heal more than twice in an encounter has plenty of surges left). Either way, once I got more powers per encounter that could heal, I might think about subbing either of these out for another level 2 Utility.

Stalker0

Legend
I think its fine. It has 2 advantages:

1) You can use it after Inspiring word is done. That is a BIG advantage. So far in the combats I've seen, characters don't run out of healing surges as much as they run out of second wind and similar effects.

2) You can use it in the same round you use inspiring word. With the combo, you can take someone from near dying and pull them back up to past the bloodied point. This is the big one/two punch of healing for the warlord.

Btw, to those talking about CLW, I think THAT is the garbage utility power. In general, I have not yet seen a battle when a character was out of healing surges. Out of second winds, out of other healing, sure...but actually out of surges I still haven't seen it. I'll take an encounter power that consumes a healing surge over a daily that doesn't any day.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Btw, to those talking about CLW, I think THAT is the garbage utility power. In general, I have not yet seen a battle when a character was out of healing surges. Out of second winds, out of other healing, sure...but actually out of surges I still haven't seen it. I'll take an encounter power that consumes a healing surge over a daily that doesn't any day.

Indeed, as I said at the bottom of the last page, CLW is not as useful, mainly due to the daily nature--you want the extra heal per encounter, not the extra one surge per day (if you really needed one surge per day, you could get two with the Resilient feat).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads