• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wand of Cu Light vs Wand of Vigor, Lesser

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
A few points to consider:

1. Yes, wands of lesser vigor are more gold-efficient than wands of cure light wounds.

1.5 Wands of cure light wounds have several other advantages, however:
1.6 As discussed, they are usable by more classes
1.7 They work 5.5 times as quickly. By the time you're level 6, wands of cure light wounds aren't combat healing any more so the "now" bit is irrelevant. However, if you're sixth level and your fighters need to heal 45 hp after a gruelling combat, getting it done in 8 rounds leaves you with plenty of room on the min/level spells. Getting that done in 45 rounds means those min/level spells will be running out by the time you get to the next combat or will not have fully taken effect by the time enemy reinforcements arrive.

WRT Mass Lesser Vigor, it's a useful spell but it suffers from the problem that:
1. It's one hit point per round. In combat, that's not so special by the time it can be cast; out of combat, the multiple targets will often be wasted.
2. Compared to mass cure light wounds, it's better if you want to heal the party after a fight, but mass cure light wounds is not used to heal parties after fights. Mass cure light wounds is in-combat healing.
2.5 Mass cure light wounds is also a very weak spell for 5th level. The only reason it's ever cast is because it doesn't need preparation and consequently can be substituted for a good spell that's not useful at the moment. If it had to compete with flame strike and spell resistance on its own, it would never get cast.

On the whole, I don't think the vigor spells are overpowered. They're useful and powerful, but they have their drawbacks. If you worry about power creep, the only one you need to be wary of is lesser vigor (because it makes non-combat healing slightly cheaper). It can be dealt with by either including more multi-part encounters or by moving it to 2nd level.

shilsen

Adventurer
As Patryn and EB have quite cogently argued, the Vigor spells aren't really overpowered in comparison to the Cure spells, though they may seem so at first glance if you just look at the final amount of damage cured and nothing else. As a DM, I actually prefer the PCs to be using Vigor spells and wands for out of combat healing since it needs no dice-rolling and saves time.

sfedi

First Post
Seriously, I don't see how you can argue that the Vigor line of spells is totally broken. Is it more useful than CLW out of combat? Yes, but then CLW is more useful than Vigor inside of combat. It's a trade-off - can you afford to wait 5 rounds before getting the average benefit of what you could have had *right now*?
CLW i sbetter in combat at levels 1-2.
Then Vigor is much more usefull.
If practicaly cuts in half the cost of healing after combat, which is a VERY common thing to do. It isn't a very "niche" role for a spell.
I mean, it's something too common to be so drastically changed by a splat book spell.
It really makes CLW wands useless.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I'm a little bit curious as to what level folks are that cure light wounds remains useful during combat.

In our games, by 5th level or so the only use cure light wounds sees in combat is if someone goes unconscious (and even then higher-level cure spells are preferable and lesser vigor works very nearly as well).

At 13th level (our current level in the Shackled City campaign), casting a cure light wounds during combat would be a complete waste of a round. And, as I've said, outside of combat lesser vigor is much superior.

Thanee

First Post
I also think, that the Vigor spells are overall better than the Cure spells, but not so much as to pose a real problem.

Vigor is also pretty cool in combat, by the way, since you will be able to auto-stabilize and get back to consciousness. :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
I'm a little bit curious as to what level folks are that cure light wounds remains useful during combat.

I guess they are speaking of Cure spells in general, not just Cure Light Wounds?

Bye
Thanee

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd just like to point this out.

A CLW takes 1 round. You can be zapped with multiple ones in a single round. The typical party has AT LEAST 2 people capable of using a CLW wand.

A lesser vigour takes, I believe, 11 rounds. Even if people stack them on you, it still takes the full duration. Also, I believe it's cleric only? So you're probably down to 2 people AT MOST.

Even OUT of combat, that's a HUGE difference.

Each lesser vigour is taking a MINUTE. A hundred hitpoints (not an inconceivable amount by any standards) takes almost 10 minutes to heal with lesser vigour. CLW could (potentially) do it in 2 minutes, less if you have multiple wands.

You can CLW the entire party to health before the party rogue finishes taking 20 on checking the next door for traps.

You can CLW the entire party to health before your bulls strength wears off.

You can CLW before reinforcements arrive.

Lesser vigour just won't cut it.

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
Fundamentally, time is an often-overlooked resource.

The superiority of the vigor range of spells over the cure range of spells depends greatly on how much time the PCs have to spend. If the DM likes to run games where the PCs can take as much time as they want, the vigor range of spells will have the edge. Still, I don't see how giving the PCs access to twice the healing per spell or per gp is going to significantly reduce anybody's enjoyment of the game.

For the record, I also think that the vigor range of spells should be Transmutation and not Conjuration (healing), so that Augment Healing would not work with them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads