• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin's Table of Contents Leaked (Spoilers!)

The full table of contents leaked by YouTuber 'Gamemasters'.

Check out Vecna: Eve of Ruin's full table of contents! Warning--spoilers are to be found below! YouTuber 'GameMasters' posted this leak in a video earlier today (you can see the video below the contents image), saying that the image was sent to him via email, but is not disclosing the identity of the sender.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 23.40.47.png

Weiley31

Legend
Rereading some old 2E books, Vecna's plot against Sigil in Die Vecna Die! was supposed to rewrite the cosmos, but I don't think it was ever followed up on (being at the end of 2E). I wonder if this is going to revive/rewrite some of that?
IIRC, it was legit the meta reason for why the edition changed to 3rd and how we ended with with the Quadric Wizards/Linear Fighters within the rules system.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
It rewrote the cosmos and made things 3e​
Here is the relevant paragraph from the Repercussions section of Die, Vecne, Die!:

Some Outer Planes drift off and are forever lost, others collide and merge, while at least one Inner Plane runs ”aground” on a distant world of the Prime. More-over, the very nature of the Prime Material Plane itself is altered. Half-worlds like those attached to Tovag Baragu multiply a millionfold, taking on parallel realism in what was before a unified Prime Material Plane. The concept of alternate dimensions rears its metaphorical head, but doesn’t yet solidify, and perhaps it never will. New realms, both near and far, are revealed, and realms never previously imagined make themselves known. Entities long thought lost emerge once more, while other creatures, both great and small, are inexplicably eradicated. Some common spells begin to work differently. The changes do not occur immediately, but instead are revealed during the subsequent months. However, one thing remains clear: Nothing will ever be the same again.

The bits that are the most specific (e.g. one of the inner planes smashing into the prime) seem to have been the least followed up on, while the really vague parts (e.g. some spells work differently) obviously were true in 3e. In retrospect, it doesn't read like it was written with much foreknowledge of any planned 3e changes, at least to me.​

BB Shockwave

Explorer
I think they’re up to something. Folks have said Greyhawk will be a default setting in the core books. This might be reset to 576CY.

So in Eve of Ruin, where a lovers' tiff brings the multiverse to its knees, they have fertile ground to make some retcons with the revised books. The PCs will defeat Vecna but his Spell will have done irreparable changes/resets to the multiverse before he is stopped.
I doubt it. Greyhawk is super generic and boring compared to Faerun. There is a reason that most 5E adventures were set in the Forgotten Realms.

The last part of the adventure is called "The Cave of Shattered Reflection". What do you see in a shattered mirror? A multitude of slightly different images.
In those parts, you apparently wander through realms as they would be like IF Vecna would have succeeded. So basically a "dark future" thing, without actual time travel.

Clint_L

Hero
I doubt it. Greyhawk is super generic and boring compared to Faerun. There is a reason that most 5E adventures were set in the Forgotten Realms.
Yeah, and the reason is that Gary Gygax created Greyhawk and even though TSR held the rights to it, they wanted to move on from all things Gygax as much as possible.

IMO, the Forgotten Realms are the definition of a generic fantasy setting. They were literally designed to be a generic fantasy setting. Or a generic D&D setting, anyway, which is basically the same thing. That's not a knock on them - I set most of my games in Exandria, which is also pretty generic. But Greyhawk is a lot more idiosyncratic than the Forgotten Realms.

My shelf full of adventures suggests that the Realms has been the default setting for 5E.

I still don't buy Greyhawk as the example setting in the 2024 DMG. It seems like a lose-lose situation. Anyone who cares about Greyhawk would be mad it gets such short shrift, and no one else is going to want just another bland medieval fantasy setting in the DMG.
Yet I’ve played 5e since about 2 months after launch and never stepped foot in the realms.

Adventures , IMO & IME don’t make something default - core books do.

TiQuinn

My shelf full of adventures suggests that the Realms has been the default setting for 5E.

I still don't buy Greyhawk as the example setting in the 2024 DMG. It seems like a lose-lose situation. Anyone who cares about Greyhawk would be mad it gets such short shrift, and no one else is going to want just another bland medieval fantasy setting in the DMG.
The old school crowd wouldn’t be expecting much from WotC on Greyhawk - they don’t want changes to the setting by and large, and if they still use the setting, it’s probably with one of the OSR rule sets or an older version of D&D. But WotC likes to mine its history and re-spin it for players who don’t have that same sense of history, so Greyhawk is viable. It’s been years since they’ve touched it but there are so many characters and adventures set there that I can see them slicing off part of it and focusing a few adventures there. They updated Bigby, Tasha, Mordenkainen. WotC also doesn’t seem to really be concerned about whether older fans like what they do with settings. Dragonlance, Spelljammer and Planescape all saw new stuff but I don’t hear anyone say it really resonated for them. I think the only setting that got an update where I truly heard a number of people thumbs up the changes was Ravenloft, and even then there was a vocal minority who weren’t happy because it changed their canon.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
Something this big should have been a super-mega adventure like 350-400 pages. This looks very "rushed" through. Some of these sections are only a handful of pages.

Of course, being nothing but pure cheapskates with their products since 5E began, not surprised. Too worried people won't pay for such a book rather than just being confident in their work and selling a book of that size and seeing the results be very positive.

Remove ads

Remove ads