• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Enhancing Vecna: Eve of Ruin *SPOILERS*

pukunui

Legend
Here's a weird sort of enhancement, but I've just discovered that there is art in the digital version of this adventure that doesn't appear to be in the print version. For instance, there is art of Mercy the purple warforged, Flinch the blue-and-red warforged, and Kalyth the Cyran orc veteran (all from the Eberron chapter) on DDB, but I can't find those pieces in the book.

I haven't looked myself, but I hear there is also more art of the spider-dragon things on DDB than what's in the book.

So if you want more official art: make sure you get the DDB version, I guess!

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Here's a weird sort of enhancement, but I've just discovered that there is art in the digital version of this adventure that doesn't appear to be in the print version. For instance, there is art of Mercy the purple warforged, Flinch the blue-and-red warforged, and Kalyth the Cyran orc veteran (all from the Eberron chapter) on DDB, but I can't find those pieces in the book.

I haven't looked myself, but I hear there is also more art of the spider-dragon things on DDB than what's in the book.

So if you want more official art: make sure you get the DDB version, I guess!
These aren't in the book in the Eberron chapter??

Yeah, it seems like a number of images were cut from the print version, for reasons of space no doubt. I think they are all associated with stat blocks, and therefore are not in all cases exclusive to this publication (you might have the same stat block from a different source).

pukunui

Legend
Nope! Neither are the pictures of the spyder-fiends.

Yeah, it seems like a number of images were cut from the print version, for reasons of space no doubt. I think they are all associated with stat blocks, and therefore are not in all cases exclusive to this publication (you might have the same stat block from a different source).
Yes, cut for space is what I was thinking. It's interesting that they've been included in the digital version without, as far as I am aware, any fanfare.

Mercy and Filch both use the warforged warrior statblock, which is new to the adventure, while Kalyth uses the veteran statblock from the MM. The spyder-fiends are all new to the adventure as well. They get individual art on DDB but not in the book. I'll check for other missing bits of art as I go through the book.

Still thinking about running this because I like the core idea so much.

I think Kas and Vecna being jilted lovers makes their story a lot better, and adds a lot to it. I think this human weakness is what Lolth is using to manipulate Vecna, who doesn't want his ritual to complete but does want it to unmake Correllon as revenge for what they've done to her.

The Crown of Lies I almost like; I'll nerf it to be "no one questions who you are" but it doesn't warp every lie. LIkewise, the stress of the sabotaged Wish will cripple Silverhand but not Tasha, who will be an aspect of the Fey Queen Tasha, not Past Tasha.

I love how the Dark Powers are described in this adventure. I think Lolth would be aware, by now at least, of the Dark Powers existing. To that end, knowing they want to claim Kas and Vecna, I think the climax is Vecna being sucked into a Domain of Dread with Kas, leaving Lolth at in the Cave of Shattered Reflections.

I've always loved the end to Watchmen, both movie and comic, when Ozymandias reveals he's already hit the nuclear button. So I would probably have Lolth have already killed Correllon, and is now using the Cave to spread her web throughout all spacetime to become the next Overgod.

I'm 100% using Tiamat as Vegeta. I'd give the players a backstory of having defeated an avatar of Tiamat before, and now they have to ally with Tiamat to beat Vecna (in reality, Lolth). I'd make the Avernus campaign canon as well, so Tiamat has helped adventurers before. I think Tiamat as an anti-hero is way cooler than TIamat as an evil god villain.

The Raven Queen is another figure I'd involve. She, in my universes, controls the Dark Powers; she is their personal goddess, and she wants those secrets to find out who she truly is. Raven Queen in 5E is also an elf psuedo-goddess, so she has stakes in this adventure as well. But the Cave of Shattered Reflection is a great place to have the Raven Queen figure out the truth of her history, progressing that character tremendously.

Remove ads