Using Ptolus in Eberron and the Forgotten Realms

theredrobedwizard said:
Um.... Sword Coast? Between Amn and Baldur's Gate is a decent place. Winters, Rain, Coast... Sure, it's along the wrongish side, but that's easy enough to hand wave. Other than that, maybe along the Sea of Fallen Stars in Sembia?

-TRRW
Heh. He crossposted this on another board, and those were my exact FR recommendations too.

Either that or ditching the Ptolus climate and putting it on the eastern coast of that Chuult peninsula sorta opposite Calimport.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
If you are willing to compromise on the climatic aspect, then I suggest for Eberron to place it on one of the peninsulas at the southern tip of Cyre. Just say that that peninsula is the only part of Cyre that was unaffected by the Mourning, and you have all sorts of instant adventure and campaign hooks surrounding the refugees and survivors of that nation.

Plus you have hobgoblins and/or elves just across the border who would probably love to conquer the city...

Hey, nice call Jürgen! Since the culture and appearance of Ptolus is different to the rest of Eberron, having it be from the one country that's not really detailed, because it just got fracked recently is a great idea.

But yeah--that means changing the climate to warm temperate bordering on tropical. Gulf Coast USA style climate.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
J-Dawg said:
Hey, nice call Jürgen! Since the culture and appearance of Ptolus is different to the rest of Eberron, having it be from the one country that's not really detailed, because it just got fracked recently is a great idea.

And it has the added bonus of having the leaders of Cyre-in-exile watch in frustration as other nations plunder their homeland and being unable to do something about it.

And Ptolus would probably be the first place to get attacked by the Lord of Blades as well, as soon as he decides to expand his territoriy...

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
J-Dawg said:

But yeah--that means changing the climate to warm temperate bordering on tropical. Gulf Coast USA style climate.

Or alternativelye - that whatever messed up Cyre also caused a micro-climate around whatever peninsula that you put it on. Sorry if this doesn't fit with whatever happened in Cyre - I don't actually have Eberron so don't know the details.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
In Eberron I'd suggest the northeastern coast of the Lhaazar Principalities

This is exactly where I placed Ptolus in my Eberron campaign. In fact, I replaced the big city up there with Ptolus (the name escapes me at the moment).

The only bump in the road I've run into so far, is that the artificer keeps wanting to make magic items and rake in the cash. The Dreaming Apothecary has a problem with people trying to muscle in on their monopoly.

There is also the small issue of there being NPCs in Ptolus whose power level far exceeds any NPC in the other Eberron resources. There are being like unto demi-gods in that city. Fortunately, most of my players are not Eberron gurus, so they have not really noticed.

You can read about the exploits of my hapless players here: JediSoth's Ptolus Campaign Journal

JediSoth

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Goblyns Hoard said:
Or alternativelye - that whatever messed up Cyre also caused a micro-climate around whatever peninsula that you put it on. Sorry if this doesn't fit with whatever happened in Cyre - I don't actually have Eberron so don't know the details.

There's enough weird stuff going on in the Mournland that such a change wouldn't be too difficult. Though in that case, the city will probably have serious food shortages as well until the local farmers can plant crops suitable for colder climates...

As an additional suggestion, perhaps the Mourning was not an accident - but a deliberate effect intended to break free the Evil that slumbers in Ptolus. It didn't succeed - the wards in place around Ptolus prevented that - but the wards were weakened, and they will break down once...

...well, once the PCs become powerful enough to possibly do something about it, of course... ;)

Remove ads