Using Ptolus in Eberron and the Forgotten Realms

Ghostwind

First Post
I'm getting ready to launch two new RPG campaigns at work. Both will likely use Ptolus, but each in a different established campaign setting, Eberron and Faerun. Given the parameters that are set down in the introduction of Ptolus about the climate and the geopolitical region and not replacing an existing city, where would you place Ptolus in each setting?

I was leaning towards the Border Kingdoms in Faerun, but the lack of winter doesn't fit the climate of Ptolus (which has harsh winters). Eberron is more open because it is so established.

Thoughts?

Odhanan

Adventurer
Hard to say without the books in front of me. What I'd say from the get-go is that I would choose Eberron over the Forgotten Realms, simply because I think (like Monte) that Eberron has far more of a Ptolus appeal than its predecessor (mainly because they both are cohesive with D&D's core concepts and use them to their advantage while both introducing some forms of technologies and 'arcanologies' thereof).

This would make for a much happier marriage, if you ask me.

Now, as for the climate, you need a region where rain would be fairly common, on the edge of a sea which would lie to the east. I know, not very helpful right now.

D'karr

Adventurer
Ghostwind said:
I'm getting ready to launch two new RPG campaigns at work. Both will likely use Ptolus, but each in a different established campaign setting, Eberron and Faerun. Given the parameters that are set down in the introduction of Ptolus about the climate and the geopolitical region and not replacing an existing city, where would you place Ptolus in each setting?

I was leaning towards the Border Kingdoms in Faerun, but the lack of winter doesn't fit the climate of Ptolus (which has harsh winters). Eberron is more open because it is so established.

Thoughts?

In Eberron I'd suggest the northeastern coast of the Lhaazar Principalities, the northern coast of the Eldeen Reaches facing Eldeen Bay, or the Eastern Coast of the Demon Wastes, geographically those areas would have the type of weather appropriate to Ptolus and you would not be replacing any existing cities.

Politically that is a different matter, but you'd have to adjust that anyway in any campaign setting but Praemal.

Psion

Adventurer
Ghostwind said:
I'm getting ready to launch two new RPG campaigns at work. Both will likely use Ptolus, but each in a different established campaign setting, Eberron and Faerun.

Weren't you hip on running Accordlands? Did that disappear into the aether?

Ghostwind

First Post
Still want to do that, but have to go with what the majority of gamers are more familiar with in terms of settings since I'm paid to run games. I still want to do an Accordlands group, but that may be a personal group.

jhilahd

Explorer
As much as I love the Realms... I'd go with Eberron too. Ptolus fits more with the catch-all that is Eberron. No one will bat much of an eye with the different race and the inclusion of the new "technologies".

And on a derailment question... you get paid to run games? How the....? Could you explain?
Thanks.

J

Ghostwind

First Post
jhilahd said:
And on a derailment question... you get paid to run games? How the....? Could you explain?

I work at a comic/gaming store on the weekends. I am the Games Coordinator which means I place the orders and I am also the one who coordinates and runs the games that go on in the store. So, I get paid to run games - 12 hrs on Saturdays, 4 hrs on Fridays, and then some miscellaneous hours through the week. :cool:

Um.... Sword Coast? Between Amn and Baldur's Gate is a decent place. Winters, Rain, Coast... Sure, it's along the wrongish side, but that's easy enough to hand wave. Other than that, maybe along the Sea of Fallen Stars in Sembia?

-TRRW

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases