• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Underrated Monsters

Clint_L

Hero
What 5e monsters don't get enough, respect, in your opinion?

I nominate the humble, CR2 Peryton. A trio of them, from a random wilderness encounter, just gave a level 7 party fits. Between flyby, resistance to non-magical attacks and a really nasty bonus to their dive attacks (which was all of their attacks, thanks to flyby) they eventually had the party running to seek shelter. It was hilarious.

Who do you nominate?

Oofta

Legend
I feel like a really cool campaign could be made with the Star Spawn. Probably not an underrated monster. I just think the concept is cool and I don't think I've seen them used.

Yeah, I've been using them myself. The idea that these cultists actually want to be turned into aberrant monstrosities is just too fun. That and the cult leader being just a normal guy until they turn into a lesser and then greater star spawn emissary? Tons of surprises and enjoyment. For the DM anyway. :devilish:

Remove ads