• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Two things that I haven't seen mentioned on 4th edition

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Szatany said:
Of course it is, there is no alternative at this point. We can either base assumptions on 3e when 4e info is unavailable, or shut up. Now, show me someone how would prefer the second choice :cool:
Right you are. Please do not shut up.

Szatany said:
Of course it is, there is no alternative at this point. We can either base assumptions on 3e when 4e info is unavailable, or shut up. Now, show me someone how would prefer the second choice :cool:

Nobody here would prefer the second choice for themselves. But I'm sure we all have a list of other people we'd like to see take it. ;)

Doug McCrae

Legend
If there isn't a total ban on bread-and-butter buff items won't there be a temptation to re-introduce strength boosters and the like in splat books?

Admittedly there would still be some temptation even with a ban.

Szatany

First Post
Khur said:
Right you are. Please do not shut up.
Well, since you insist :p

Armadillo said:
I'm not sure what a +6 wand will mean, but I get the impression that this might be something that they're picking up from WoW. This is pure speculation, but a +6 wand suggests to me a new ranged attack weapon for wizards that could have damage types of Fire, Cold, Force, etc.
If a +6 wand of something gave you magic attack with a +6 bonus, that replaces your standard bonus, I'd like it. It would be great item for low level casters. If it gave you simply a +6 bonus, that would be an essential item again and we are promised those will be no more.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Doug McCrae said:
If there isn't a total ban on bread-and-butter buff items won't there be a temptation to re-introduce strength boosters and the like in splat books?

Admittedly there would still be some temptation even with a ban.
Lead us not to temptation . . . that is the way to the Dark Side. Or something . . .

Szatany

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
There is. We can try to imagine what other changes would have to be made to make the stated changes work.
I know and I do that. But sometimes I assume there will be no change (in this case, I strongly believe there will still be Dispel Magic around that does what it did in 3e, just with different mechanics).

Doug McCrae

Legend
Szatany said:
If a +6 wand of something gave you magic attack with a +6 bonus, that replaces your standard bonus, I'd like it. It would be great item for low level casters. If it gave you simply a +6 bonus, that would be an essential item again and we are promised those will be no more.
Except that replacing your own bonus would make the item more important than the character, which we're supposed to be getting away from in 4e.

If the wand buffs and the character has, say, a +3 bonus already for a total of +9, then the wand is contributing two thirds, and the character one third. So the item is twice as important as the character. Otoh if it's all coming from the wand then the character counts for nothing.

But, as you say, we're supposed to be moving away from buffs also. Quandary!

Eagle Prince

First Post
It could be cool for staves and wands to just make mages better at magic rather than being supercharged scrolls. But I hope a +6 wand is epic.

Szatany

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Except that replacing your own bonus would make the item more important than the character, which we're supposed to be getting away from in 4e.
True, unless:
- it gives you a spell that is highly conditional and therefore useful only sometimes, for example works only against elementals
- it uses up your resources, for example gives you a fireball but each use costs you one per encounter slot
- it has few uses per day itself
- it's a class feature

Last edited:

Remove ads