• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E To capitalize or not to capitalize

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
To capitalize or not to capitalize.

D&D has technical jargon. Some of this jargon is normally capitalized, like the skill name "Arcana". Some of this jargon is normally not, like "hit points".

Some of the jargon is ambiguous, at least in practice. Sometimes the origin "Fey" seems to be capitalized, sometimes not.

Regarding spells, officially they are lowercase − and italicized which is inconvenient in casual discussions. Personally, I always capitalize the names of spells as proper nouns. The terms "Fly" and "fly" have different meanings, the first being the name of a spell, the second being a type of speed.

Similarly I always capitalize the names of classes and races. A "Fighter" is the technical name of a class. A "fighter" might mean something else.

Whether I capitalize a race or not is almost random at this point. I used to always capitalize race names for the same reason as class names. But a race might also have the sense of a nationality or tribe, thus be a proper noun, and important to capitalize. I would capitalize names like "Human, Elf, and Dragonborn". But honestly, in contexts discussing race, the frequency of capital letters does start to look distracting. So I have been switching to consistently lowercase races, ... sometimes. So, I write "human, elf, and dragonborn".

Even if "elf" is lowercase, is "Wood Elf" an ethnicity thus capitalized? Even if "drow elf" is not treated as an ethnicity, "Uda-drow", "Aeven-drow", and "Loren-drow" feel like ethnicities. Or are they subcultures?

At the moment, I am leaning toward always capitalizing class names, and always lowercasing race names and similar. But it gets tricky.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I tend to follow the statblocks in the books and the DMsGuild sample sheet. I would think it becomes easier for everyone if more people adopted the same standard, and since they make the books...

I would also like to see abbreviations for books and such spelled out with the abbreviation in the first mention. A new book comes out and the first time I see something, I have no idea what people are talking about- Forgotten Realms (FR). That one is more easy, but I hate looking stuff up.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I capitalize terms that are referenced as names or keywords or game rule references in the books. So for instance I capitalize all Conditions, all Skills, all Feats, Weapon and Armor Properties, the names of class features, and so forth. If it is something that can/will/need to be referenced in a book at some time, usually I will capitalize it so the reader understands that it is a game term, and not descriptive text.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I tend to follow the statblocks in the books and the DMsGuild sample sheet. I would think it becomes easier for everyone if more people adopted the same standard, and since they make the books...

I would also like to see abbreviations for books and such spelled out with the abbreviation in the first mention. A new book comes out and the first time I see something, I have no idea what people are talking about- Forgotten Realms (FR). That one is more easy, but I hate looking stuff up.
Can you link to the DMsGuild sample sheet for us?
:)

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I do my best to follow the style and writing conventions in the officially published material. I think it makes things easier on everyone, but also recognize that it can get confusing for some.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
According to the 2019 DnD House Style Guide: races and subraces (and monsters) are lowercase.

But according to the Players Handbook, the human "ethnicities" are capitalized.

Thus, a subrace is not an ethnicity.

Inferably, a subrace might include a number of ethnicities.

The most official sources I could find is at Wizards, and at DnDBeyond. In the former source, the names "Udadrow, Aevendrow, and Lorendrow" are capitalized. Each is called a "society". Thus these three societies − Uda, Aeven, and Loren − might be ethnicities. However in the latter source, the names "udadrow, lorendrow, and aevendrow", are all lowercase. Inferably, these three are not names of drow ethnicities. Thus the technical nomenclature for these sub-subrace groups and whether to capitalize them appears unstable at this time.

There is a reference to the wider drow "culture", where Uda, Loren, and Aeven societies appear to be something like three subcultures.

A society is additionally described vaguely as a "group", "band", or a "clan". Presumably, the family name of a clan would be capitalized.

In any case, the names of ethnicities and nations are capitalized, but the capitalization of a "society" remains ambiguous.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I usually capitalize classes and races. If I want to distinguish a spell name I'll usually either put it in quotes or italicize it, though a few that are also common words (e.g. fly, sleep) I'll often capitalize as well.

In my own logs I also always capitalize the word Party when referring to a group of PCs, to differentiate between other adventuring groups and also other uses of the word e.g. political party, birthday party, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads