Pathfinder 2E The starknife hurts my brain

pawsplay

Hero
The starknife makes no sense. At first I thought it was a bit like wind and fire wheels, but you can't actually hold it a plane with your arm because of its ring body. You can't really use it holding it up and down, because it doesn't even have a point going down, they go at diagonal angles. Even if you did, it would like holding a fistload or a buckler, but instead of your fist being protected, your knuckle would be fully exposed and you would have no striking surface if you punched. A lot of the illustrations seem to show the character gripping the handle with their wrist going over the ring, which would be a weak grip.

I guess you could throw it, but the handle in the middle is not conducive to a spinning throw. You might be better off just throwing it by the point, like a big shuriken.
947aa36d7b6e177ee4bea6cb5787247b-4112611457.jpg
df0b237a39331eeb300b5f53dfdca5b3-3261037447.jpg

Kaodi

Hero
I am not sure what you would expect when a starknife is buried in your skull. It would rather be more surprising if it didn't hurt your brain, I think?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Most likely cause of your problem is artist ignorance, I think. Rotate the handle so its inline with one pair of blades (instead of offset), and most of your problem would disappear I think.

As for throwing, IDK, maybe a one-handed baton twirl kind of thing?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
(Short) Spikes on vambraces and greaves would work. And shoulder-spikes augmenting/replacing a gorget would work. But yeah, spiky all-over is just for intimidation. And depending on where and how long the spikes are, possibly mobility-reducing and unwise.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Also see dire flail

Or any hammer with the head larger than two fists

Or armour with spikes

Or....

;)
Yeah, fantasy RPG weapons require some suspension of disbelief (much like dragons being able to fly). If there isn't an actual historical weapon like that there's probably good reason.

Even historical weapons are often quite different from how they appear in art. Battle axes, for example, historically had smaller heads and pretty much never double sided, unlike what much of RPG art would like you to believe.

Staffan

Legend
(Short) Spikes on vambraces and greaves would work. And shoulder-spikes augmenting/replacing a gorget would work. But yeah, spiky all-over is just for intimidation. And depending on where and how long the spikes are, possibly mobility-reducing and unwise.
Devil's advocate: in D&D, spikey armor makes a little more sense than it would do in real life. D&D has lots of monsters who like to hug or swallow you, and spikes provides a disincentive to that.

pawsplay

Hero
Yeah, fantasy RPG weapons require some suspension of disbelief (much like dragons being able to fly). If there isn't an actual historical weapon like that there's probably good reason.

Even historical weapons are often quite different from how they appear in art. Battle axes, for example, historically had smaller heads and pretty much never double sided, unlike what much of RPG art would like you to believe.

This is a little different than simply unrealistic weapons. I can't even visualize how you would wield this.

Remove ads