The One Ring Roleplaying Game

Rue

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for The One Ring Roleplaying Game

I've always been interested in RPGs, but every time I'd stop by a gaming store to look through the possibilities I never found the game that had all the things I was looking for--until I happened upon The One Ring. I've never seen a game that let me enter into the world of a beloved book so well as this one. I love it. It's clever, and beautiful, and the mechanics are so elegant that even though new-to-gaming players like me can understand them relatively easily, seasoned gamers find nuance and endless interplay with them (you can stop by the forums on the Cubicle7 website and see for yourself). I love how dedicated the game and its creators are to bringing Middle Earth to life for us, and how well they have matched the mechanics to the flavor and traditions of the world. I'm not the right person to give you a blow-by-blow account of the mechanics (and there are plenty of reviews that do so out there), but I did want to say that if you are looking for an amazing game with brilliant supplements and a kind, funny, and witty online community (who have been very patient about answering my endless questions), then you can do no better than to pick up a copy of The One Ring. It's the game that got me into RPGs after a long time watching from the sidelines, and now I'm hooked (and may or may not have acquired Qin, Ygdrassill, 13th Age, and Fiasco as a result.) One last note: it's a game that can easily be suited to family play if you have younger players, and I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to play it with us.

jamesrbrown

First Post

Let me begin by saying that this is distinctly a Middle-earth roleplaying game, and you will not find more dedication to the source material than you will here. Every aspect of the game, starting with character creation, captures Tolkien's values and language. Indeed, the authors encourage Loremasters to take another look at the books to present the players with an authentic Middle-earth experience.For my full review, click here.

Last edited:

Gamer XP

First Post

We had post-game beers and all in all, the key word we came away with was impressive. We had a few people who are Tolkien fans, but at least one guy didn’t care much for Tolkien, and everyone was still impressed by how good the game was and how easy it was to play. The session never ground to a halt, which is a major feat considering this was our first time at this.

Taarkoon

First Post

This is with no doubt the best RPG based on middle earth ever. The way the mechanics evoke the feeling of middle earth is astonishing, it is as if the designers have created the game with the advice of J.R.R. Tolkien himself. Even if you are not familiar with middle earth, or if you are not particularly a fan of it, this game is worth reading and playing it. The mechanics of this game are elegant, simple in their core, but extremely rich! With fast and deadly combats and social encounter rules which perfectly interweave with the role play. Probably, the pearl of the game mechanics is the journey rules for travelling around the world, they are just gorgeous. Although a special mention has to be also made for the encumbrance rules, probably the best I have ever seen, and you know what? They are very simple! With this game you will never feel that the mechanics are in the way of your fun! All this is wrapped in a fantastic edition of the game, with top quality books and breath taking evocative art-work.

HorusZA

Explorer

When I watched the Extra Features on the Lord of the Rings BluRay boxed sets I was amazed at the detail, love and attention the producers of the movies put into their creation. This is the role-playing analog to that: Expertly crafted, respectful of the source material, perfect match between mechanics and setting, stunningly well produced in terms of art and layout backed by sourcebooks of extraordinary quality (Darkening of Mirkwood is one of the best campaign adventures ever produced).

AsakoSoh

Explorer

This is a superb game with the new edition being much better organised and clear. The game itself is easy to run and does a great job in evoking the Northern European cultures that inspired Tolkien in his novels. The setting begins just after the Battle of the Five Armies with the initial campaign frame being called 'the darkening of mirkwood', but with Cubicle 7 releases subsequent supplements detailing other regions (Rivendell just out!) and advancing the timeline towards The Lord of the Rings.

Yaztromo

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for The One Ring Roleplaying Game

Non pensavo che avrei mai piu' giocato in questo mondo dopo averci bazzicato parecchio circa venticinque anni fa (con GIRSA/MERP), e invece questo gioco di ruolo e' fatto cosi' bene che non ho potuto evitare di provare di nuovo l'ebbrezza di giocare in quel mondo che mi ha fatto scoprire un genere letterario che non conoscevo.

Matchstick

Adventurer

Incredibly high production values, amazing art, and best of all an incredibly evocative ruleset, I wouldn't look at any other game for running adventures in Middle Earth. The rules are so simple and yet so deep, and capture specifically the feeling of being in Middle Earth, with Shadow and Hope, and wonderful travel rules, among other things. I especially love the combat, which moves well and is deceptively simple. An easy five stars here.

I've been playing D&D for most of my life and of course, Middle Earth has influenced much of my experience in fantasy game play.The One Ring captures Middle Earth like nothing else I've read (the other ME rpgs), the layout is gorgeous, the mechanics bring the flavor of the movies and the books. I wasn't sure about the game but the art caught my eye and then I got a chance to play a few games at a convention and I was hooked. Every book released is not rushed and the rules/supplements are really thought out with great care. Love this game!

Remove ads