The One Ring (and ME RPGs in general)

aramis erak

Legend
For me, only one game hits both suitable mechanics and mechanics fit to how I perceive the setting... and that's TOR 1E. 2E made a bunch of changes I dislike, but only one I do like (it improved the travel rules).

MERP had great fluff, and was a great game, but it was not great as a Middle Earth game... way too much overt magic. It's great as Rolemaster Light.

Decipher's suffered from being tied to the movies. And too much magic. too many feats, too.

aramis erak

Legend
I don't understand how this fits in a LotR game!
It's a common misconception of the rules for TOR Travel rules.
See, if you're not in a hurry, you don't use the travel system, you're just assumed to get there by the harvest. or the start of summer, if meeting at a prearranged place for the fellowship.
Many refer to it as teleporting; instead, it's technically elision of the travel out of the story.

Tolkien doesn't do this all that much, but does do it occasionally. Especially with Gandalf.

pemerton

Legend
It's a common misconception of the rules for TOR Travel rules.
See, if you're not in a hurry, you don't use the travel system, you're just assumed to get there by the harvest. or the start of summer, if meeting at a prearranged place for the fellowship.
Many refer to it as teleporting; instead, it's technically elision of the travel out of the story.

Tolkien doesn't do this all that much, but does do it occasionally. Especially with Gandalf.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to The One Ring RPG. I was replying to a poster who had posted about the LotR Online MMO.

I really like gaming in ME. Have multiple copies of all the published games and have played loads since 1984? Plenty of gaps in time to play, lots famous places to go, NPC's to meet and easy to make stuff up n fill in the gaps.
Each published system has strengths and weaknesses so I can't say I have a favourite

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I just got ahold of the Arnor and Angband books for MERP because the fall of Arnor is my favorite non-War of the Ring era of ME.

Yeah I'd like to play an RPG in Eriador during the wars with the Witch-King.

And then play a TOR campaign where you explore all the old ruins that you (the player) remember as towers and fortresses.

Remove ads