D&D 5E The Magical Martial

I read all that and the use of the devil there was never a reference to Lucifer. At least in my end of the poster that I was discussing with before you.
i mean, the guy you were replying too (who's the one that brought up the devil) capitalized Devil, so either he just decided to capitalize "devil" for literally no reason at all (which isn't really like him), or you missed that he was talking about lucifer (or some equivalent thereof).

You think 100% of things in all fantasy settings are different from the real world? I can guarantee you that is not the case.

And I don't need to prove anything anymore than you do. Neither statement is easily verifiable fact. That is why a qualified mine.
Not what I said.

What I said is that 100% of fantasy settings will differ from the real world*.

This is not the same as saying that everything in those settings will differ.

* - Technically, I said the "vast majority" because I was using your words but I don't really need the qualification like you do. Differing from the real world is literally part of the definition in the word "fantasy".

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And I'm talking about character fantasy, which combines those things. We don't just play a class, we play a character who combines elements from all over the game into their own story.

I'm well aware you dismiss the rules when they don't suite your taste, but that doesn't make you insistence that somehow DnD is GoT any more believable. You can pretend it is, for a while, but the cracks are there right at level 1.
I never said D&D was GOT. I was responding to your claim that the instant something is defined as "fantasy", there are no standards or expectations and anything can be anything, and furthermore that it's "weird" to think otherwise.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
i mean, the guy you were replying too (who's the one that brought up the devil) capitalized Devil, so either he just decided to capitalize "devil" for literally no reason at all (which isn't really like him), or you missed that he was talking about lucifer (or some equivalent thereof).
I guess I’d start with noting that The Devil, Lucifer is not in d&d settings. Thus, he would unlikely have been referring to him.

Bluenose

Adventurer
No, giants can't throw the boulder I described the distance I described (at least not any edition of D&D I am aware of and definitely not 5e where the weakest giant (hill) starts at 21)

So I will make it simple:

Commoner: max strength 16; max strength with training 18

Strength needed to throw a 10 ton boulder 1 mile: 50

What level does a PC need to be to get a strength 50?
Achilles picks up a rock "that ten strong men of today could not lift" and throws it (at Hector iirc, certainly in a major fight). It seems like the sort of ability some high-level Fighters could have.

Vaalingrade

Legend
But this is... a bad test.

For example, let's look at Crawford's requirements for something being affected by Anti-Magic
First lesson of and edition of D&D: never listen to the Sage regardless of who they are.

Mutant superheroes are natural, magic, and extraordinary.
To be more specific, every mutant is the result of a naturally-occurring X-gene that grants them fantastic power.

For some of them, that's where it ends: Beast has fur, strength and agility, Wolverine has greatly accelerate healing.

Some of them have direct manipulation of natural forces: directed magnetism for Magneto, kinetic control for Gambit. Her own biological makeup for Mystique.

But then you get into things like 'access to a mystical force or energy' like any of the Darkforce users who don't matter except for mutate, Cloak, or Cyclops's access to a dimension of... force? Light? The punch dimension. It's the punch dimension. and that includes Scarlet Witch, whose mutant power is literally a greater control of magic that manifested early in the form of chaotic energy causing 'hex bolts'.

It is very clear though that mutant powers in general aren't magical. In fact, one of the first lines from Juggernaut in the 90's series was 'I'm not a mutant! My powers are magical".

dave2008

Legend
Not what I said.
My apologies, I misunderstood.
What I said is that 100% of fantasy settings will differ from the real world*.
Sure, but I still believe they share a whole lot in common with the real world. In fact, the settings often rely on it. For example, do fantasy settings often have to explain:
  • what gravity is or how it works?
  • what matter is?
  • what air or water or food is?
  • what sentience is?
  • what a human is?
  • what an animal is?
  • what the ground or the sky is?
  • what a house, castle, or similar dwelling is?
  • what a cave or cavern is?
  • what a valley or mountain is?
  • what stream, river, or ocean is?
  • what a carriage or boat or ship is?
  • what a cloud is?
  • what a foot, hand, or head is?
  • what grass, a shrub, or tree is?
  • etc., etc.
Fantasy settings generally rely on our knowledge of the real world and how it operates and therefore do not need to explain all of these. The settings even assume we know these things so they can, at times, introduce new versions of these things and explain how the might be a little bit different.

dave2008

Legend
... Juggernaut in the 90's series was 'I'm not a mutant! My powers are magical".
That doesn't make him correct!

The X-gene is fiction and produces impossible results. Doing the impossible is the expectation of magic. It may not be defined as magic in the fiction, but it is indistinguishable outside the fiction.

Question: why is the word magic or magical so scary for you. Would you prefer a different word? Do you realize when people say it is magic / supernatural / extraordinary they are simply talking about phenomena that are impossible in RL. The word doesn't matter, it is simply a shortcut for: something that has no rational, scientific, or logical explanation, i.e. impossible.

Last edited:

Remove ads