• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The Dungeon of the Fire Opal

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I picked up that issue of Dungeon at a local magazine rack one day after getting into D&D3e.

It's when I saw that adventure in it that I wigged out and fell in love with Dungeon.

Kaodi said:
Hell, the Dungeon of the Fire Opal should finally get the star treatment in 4e. Time for a whole mega adventure/adventure path starting there, hehehe...
Too late. I already RAN an entire 3E campaign where DotFO was an irreplacable early element.

IanB

First Post
Gobbling and rending noises is pretty much a running joke in our games, and has been for... uh, a really long time. I give it a thumbs-up.

Henry

Autoexreginated
One of my favorite campaigns I ran included a modified version of that Dungeon. A near-TPK resulted there, a climactic battle that ended up with the PCs falling to a party of Lizard men, and a Wizard PC (the last character standing), with no spells left, PUNCHING OUT a Lizard Man shaman (the last opponent left). Some very happy memories there. :)

I hope they do something special with that Dungeon when 4E arrives, a "Sunless Citadel" kind of treatment.

frankthedm

First Post
[IMaGel]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/14/B5_Horror_on_the_Hill.jpg/250px-B5_Horror_on_the_Hill.jpg[/IMaGel] I Used the DotFO as the dungeon of the forgotton monstary in "The Horror on the hill". It felt like a good fit.

SWBaxter

First Post
Scribble said:
Is said dungeon a greyhawk dungeon?

In the 1e DMG, it's a map. The sample of play covers about three rooms, the idea was a DM would fill out the rest. I don't really understand the obsession with it nowadays, but then again I never used it - I already had the In Search of the Unknown module by the time I picked up the DMG, and that was also a dungeon map for a DM to populate, so I got my practice in on that map. I guess for a lot of people the DotFO was their first look at a dungeon map, and so it occupies a special place in their memories, much as Quasqueton does for me, or the Caves of Chaos do for many others.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
SWBaxter said:
In the 1e DMG, it's a map. The sample of play covers about three rooms, the idea was a DM would fill out the rest. I don't really understand the obsession with it nowadays, but then again I never used it - I already had the In Search of the Unknown module by the time I picked up the DMG, and that was also a dungeon map for a DM to populate, so I got my practice in on that map. I guess for a lot of people the DotFO was their first look at a dungeon map, and so it occupies a special place in their memories, much as Quasqueton does for me, or the Caves of Chaos do for many others.
And there are those of us with nostalgia for all three, plus Hommlett.

Klaus

First Post
With that name, you KNOW the room with the Fire Opal is:

PlayersHandbook8Cover.jpg

Remove ads