• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) The 2024 Core D&D Rulebooks Are Coming In May

21st May 2024 is the official release date! Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

IMG_2049.png

21st May 2024 is the official release date!

Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm just speculating but it's possible that the core books have been in the works for some time before they were announced, and the playtests began in regard to organization, layout and artwork. I could be wrong and only time will tell.
Not if wotc wants them to be on any shelves other than their own. Retailers (Amazon included) have a system in place for books and it takes about 9 months notice of being on that list before they get delivered. It's more likely that may is the date they have set to make an announcement or finalize the layout to have the books start getting printed. I think it's probably a stretch but it's also possible that may is the date they plan to list their books as ready in nine months.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
Not if wotc wants them to be on any shelves other than their own. Retailers have a system in place for books and it takes about 9 months notice of being on that list before they get delivered. It's more likely that may is the date they have set to make an announcement or finalize the layout to have the books start getting printed. I think it's probably a stretch but it's also possible that may is the date they plan to list their books as ready in nine months.
You could be right. I may not have been clear, but my point was that if they did a lot of work upfront on the DMG/MM they could probably finish them, have them off to the printer and on store shelves quicker than expected after the playtest is finished. Hypothetically if they released the PHB in May of 2024, they might be able release the 2nd core book in July and the 3rd one in September. I'm not a game designer, printer or retailer so I could be way off base.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You could be right. I may not have been clear, but my point was that if they did a lot of work upfront on the DMG/MM they could probably finish them, have them off to the printer and on store shelves quicker than expected after the playtest is finished. Hypothetically if they released the PHB in May of 2024, they might be able release the 2nd core book in July and the 3rd one in September. I'm not a game designer, printer or retailer so I could be way off base.
No it's not a matter of finishing and getting them to the printer. That listing is the reason there is always a "leak" with page numbers or weight/dimensions and price with placeholder titles with page numbers after being automatically pulled from the list and listed for preorder on Amazon.

One of the flgs folks on here might be able to explain how books need to be listed wayyyy in advance and what is on that list better than me.

mamba

Legend
Not if wotc wants them to be on any shelves other than their own. Retailers (Amazon included) have a system in place for books and it takes about 9 months notice of being on that list before they get delivered.
couldn’t they have listed them already, without the retailers saying anything about that?

It's more likely that may is the date they have set to make an announcement or finalize the layout to have the books start getting printed. I think it's probably a stretch but it's also possible that may is the date they plan to list their books as ready in nine months.
if May were that date, the books would be published in 2025, I do expect them in 24

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads