• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summoner questions

Theroc

First Post
I'm almost afraid to ask given the lashing out last time someone had asked about a summoner powerwise, but my question isn't directly related to errata and the like. I was looking at the Summoner as seen in Summoner - Pathfinder_OGC

and was wondering: Is it viable to base the majority of your resources into buffing the Eidolon without becoming completely useless once it's gone?

Like, feats to enhance the Eidolon, etc...?

I really like the evolution setup and wanted to play with it, but after seeing some of the commentary when I tried to look up general advice gave me pause.

For background, I may be joining an evil-aligned PF game on Enworld which begins at level 10. My basic idea was a Saurian(DM approved it) Summoner who focuses on a serpentine Eidolon (which will be like a Yuan-Ti Abomination[Snake head, snake 'tail', human torso with arms]) with things like poisonous bite on constrict (And the ability to be ridden as a mount, possibly, so my Summoner has no need to 'walk' anymore.)

Would this concept be effective? I'm not concerned so much with being a munchkin as making sure I won't be behind the curve by attempting this... any general advice on maximizing this?

Kaisoku

First Post
Well, if you do go with mount, then you'll probably want to invest in the Ride skill and Mounted Combat. Negating one attack per round through your ride check is a really nice thing when it prevents your main focus from being taken away.

The summoner itself isn't as bad as a wizard without spells. 3/4 BAB and light armor casting. If your Eidolon dies and your spell choices are all buffing stuff, then you can still buff yourself with those same spells and still do something in combat (if even ranged with a crossbow).

Note that if you pick a crowd control spell that ends up saving your Eidolon from being killed by a mob or a particularly tough enemy, then you are filling two roles: helping your eidolon and providing crowd control.

Theroc

First Post
So, is my evolution idea viable? Also; Is it possible to invest more resources into making my Eidolon more potent? For example; Is there a feat to increase evolution points, or increase its HP or something of the like?

Thirdly, are the archetypes (They sound like alternate class features) any good? Most seem pretty situational.

Kaisoku

First Post
Unless something new is coming out for Ultimate Magic, there aren't any archetypes for the summoner class.

The evolution design you are going for sounds fine, just remember that it has to be at least Large to be your mount if you are a Medium sized character. The only other drawback I could see would be that I think you get a speed reduction with serpent form, and no way to increase the speed through evolutions without adding legs.
It has climb speed though, so you've be able to ride it and climb all over the place if needed.

The only summoner feat was one that gave a temporary ability boost to your eidolon when you summoned it. Not really great because I think it was enhancement.

There's a few spells that let you tinker with evolutions on eidolons, but they are mostly high level. You'll need the APG for that stuff directly. There were spells that let you heal it though, those would likely be important if you are relying on keeping it around.

Theroc

First Post
Okay. :p Serves me right for trusting something called a database to be official-ish. :p

Anyhow, does that mean there's pretty much no way to support an Eidolon outside getting spells to heal them?

Shisumo

First Post
Unless something new is coming out for Ultimate Magic, there aren't any archetypes for the summoner class.
...which, for the record, I think there is.
Anyhow, does that mean there's pretty much no way to support an Eidolon outside getting spells to heal them?
Pretty much all of a summoner's eidolon support is through spells, though that can mean "generic" buff spells like bull's strength, eidolon-specific buffs like evolution surge, or healing spells like rejuvenate eidolon. The "generic" buffs can be applied to yourself or to other party members, even when the eidolon is "dead," so you can remain viable without it... and let's not forget the truly ungodly horde of summoned creatures you can spew forth with your summon monster spell-like...

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Ah, I was hoping to find feats to do stuff like let the summoner give his eidolon more evolution points or something. Or alternatively, let the summoner use his one class feature to get more evolution points (or get the same number as usual without taking them away from his eidolon!)

Ohwell, the Eidolon is still pretty cool. Don't know of many other ways to play anything really serpentine(I haven't found any rules for a remotely non suicidal LA/HD'ed Yuan-Ti that had the 'Medusa/Naga' style body.

Thanks for the help!

Remove ads