• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stupidity and monte haul gaming

rounser

First Post
One word.... Tarrasque

Or how about this one, a 25 level Lich Necromancer whose Phylactery contains the Tarrasque.

Good suggestions.

What about psionic zombie lizard man ice hockey players from outer space, riding tarrasques?

Last edited:

Nareau

Explorer
Not sure if this fits in with your campaign...but how about challenging them in ways that their kick-butt equipment won't avail them?

Face them off against politically powerful people. Throw some bizarre puzzles at them.

Or better yet... I recently read an article that mentioned U.K. LeGuin's take on fantasy literature. She said something to the effect of, "The exploration of power is at the heart of the genre." You could certainly play with some ideas how power can corrupt people (the PC's).

I think just taking away their stuff would make them mad. And throwing more and more powerful critters at them might get boring after a while.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Formula is Easy:

Get basic Monster
Use Advancement to Bigger Size
Add Half-Fiend

If necessary add lycanhthropy or vampirism...
or Boost up with Magic Items group wont use because the items are evil and cursed...

Not strong enough use this:

Get Drow
Boost to high levels
Give Magic Items boost dex and saves
Add Half Fiend or Vampirism ;)

There are always ways of making regular run of the mill monsters into challenges. Even if its only a spellcaster hidden behind the scenes giving them displacement right before they attack. Many spells give nice boost.... stoneskin ...

Black Omega

First Post
rounser said:

Ha! Just as I suspected: It's all about the munchkins, baby.

Take that, "real roleplayers"! Nyaarrrrrhhh!!!! :p :p :p :p

Ahem. I believe the quote says exploration. Not exploitation.;)

Last edited:

jdfrenzel

First Post
MythandLore said:

I think your onto something, what about "Mordenkainen's Oddfunction" that could be cool.
Or "Mordenkainen's Funkyfunction"
Or "Mordenkainen's Wrongjunction"
Or "Mordenkainen's Lil'munchkin"
Or "Mordenkainen's Stinny Frog Cheese"
Well I not quite sure about that last one.

What is this, Disfunction Junction??? ;)

Rakehell

First Post
Attrition is a wonderful thing for picking on high level characters. Constantly running into progreesively larger and better armed groups of something is a sure way to eventually get them worried. A few dozen archers plinking away from full cover will have them running scared. Add in a few spellcaster types and they have a real good reason to be worried. Then, do it again with slightly higher level NPCs. And again. And again. If they don't have time to rest, eventually they're going to run out of healing spells/potions.

A dragon who is physically smaller than most others of its kind that has chosen to rely instead on stealth and magic. Hit and run from one of them would be decidedly nasty, and if they choose to confront it in its lair, well, it knows the ins and outs of the place better than anyone and they're in for a long game of cat and mouse.

Hazardous environments are always fun. Nice slippery ice caves where they'll spend half their time just standing up again after falling down. Nasty swamps that are filled with quicksand, disease carrying mosquitoes and the stereotypical natives with poison blowguns (they'll miss a save sooner or later). Volcanicly (sp?) active areas with the air full of soot and dust so they have a hard time breathing and seeing, and they're nice and warm so you can freely assign penalties for wandering around in full armor, not to mention the possibility of earthquakes and such when the volcano starts to erupt.

A few level draining undead might help to get them back down to a more manageable level. Even ones that just drain strength can severely limit their options.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Isle of the Ape

The 1st edition high-level adventure Isle of the Ape featured an environment where equipment just kind of rotted off of characters as they explored it. Nice effect. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads