• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Streaming Services: First 2023 POWER RANKINGS (And what's up with Prime?)

Zardnaar

Legend
Well apparently Disney+ had 12 original shoes, 6 of them were MCU/Star Wars and those were the only 6 people bothered watching by the numbers.

Think I've enjoyed 6 Netflix shows since Sandman at least.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Disney Plus is going to be rocking in the 2nd half of the year between Ahsoka, Loki season 2, the three Doctor Who specials (for those outside the UK), Dial of Destiny, GotG V3, and Elemental all hitting streaming before the end of the year. And season three of Only Murders on Hulu in August. Plus whatever the merger of D+ and Hulu will look like.
Yeah, D+ actually looks pretty compelling once that stuff starts rolling, even without the Hulu integration. (But if it gets Hulu, that means the new Justified series as well, which is more than worth subscribing to a streaming service for.)

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, D+ actually looks pretty compelling once that stuff starts rolling, even without the Hulu integration. (But if it gets Hulu, that means the new Justified series as well, which is more than worth subscribing to a streaming service for.)

Justified is so good. Here wevwarched it for the third time on Amazon and it's on Disney+ already. Had sone food stuff on STAR. Without it would probably unsubsidized between Star Wars stuff.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Getting into Apple - Ted Lasso (of course, although season 3 wandering a bit but still fun), Shrinking (Harrison Ford?! How the heck did they get him? Stoned eating doritos :ROFLMAO: ), Silo is terrific so far, and had weird dreams last night after watching episode 1 of Severance. That show is ... different but curious to see where it goes.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Amazon Prime is deeply mediocre, with a lot of crap surrounding the few gems and a huge problem with discovering what they do have available (Amazon's got a problem with their interfaces generally, so at least they're consistent). We get it on discount because we have a college student in the house and really just want it for effectively instant delivery.

If it wasn't for those two factors, we wouldn't subscribe, as much as I've enjoyed some of their shows (both Vox Machina and Rings of Power, come at me).
I talked to a web developer once, back when Amazon was still new-ish, about how hard it was to find dvd release dates on Blockbuster's website but how easy it was to find it on Amazon, and they pointed out that this is because Amazon started as an online marketplace, but Blockbuster started as a bricks-and-mortar retailer. So, Amazon was built entirely for making products easy to find and buy on your computery device.

This might be part the problem with Prime's streaming interface - streaming service interfaces should work differently than interfaces designed for finding that gewgaw you need to buy, and Amazon's whole thinking is geared toward the latter.

Netflix started with disc rental, but they pioneered into streaming and started that boom, and they've got it down pat.
Paramount+ and Apple TV+ are strictly in the category of occasional dips when new content is available.
I was just thinking last night that we subscribe to too many streaming services, and that we need to pick a few that we just dip into occasionally. I really appreciate having access to all the services we have, but a better approach might be to stick with one or two until we're kind of done with them for the time being, and then switch to one or two others for a while, and so forth. I don't think there's a single streaming service I "need" to have all the time.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Getting into Apple - Ted Lasso (of course, although season 3 wandering a bit but still fun), Shrinking (Harrison Ford?! How the heck did they get him? Stoned eating doritos :ROFLMAO: ), Silo is terrific so far, and had weird dreams last night after watching episode 1 of Severance. That show is ... different but curious to see where it goes.
Severance is fantastic and just builds in quality and weirdness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads