• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spells on sleeping characters

If your character is asleep and someone casts a spell on him that does not have a saving throw does the character ever even know he has had a spell cast on him?

Last edited:

Th spell in question is Geas. Technically the fact that the player is asleep does not keep him or her from hearing the orders being given to him or her when the spell is cast.

Artoomis

First Post
No - you must be able to understand the caster (see the Lesser Geas spell that Geas is based upon) - not just technically hear him. You need to be able to hear and understand what you are supposed to do.

So the mage should cast a hypnosis spell on the sleeping person first and then the Geas. That way the person can be woken up for the Geas and still easily not remember it.

BTW, as people have proven before your mind can hear and process information while you sleep. It just does it subconciously.

Artoomis

First Post
First, there is no "hypnosis" spell, but of course you mean hypnotism.

The character's gestures and droning incantation cause creatures nearby to stop and stare blankly at the character, hypnotized.[/i]

While, perhoas, this might tecnicalyy work on a sleeping character, it certainly implies that you must be awake.

A "hidden" geas may be possible, but I am not so sure. I think there is an element of you ignoring teh geas that sets off the "bad stuff." If you don't know about it, you can't really ignore it.

Certainly a DM could allow this, but to have PCs die when they cannot even know the cause is generally less than fun.

Gromm

First Post
Use a hold spell instead of sleep.
If its while the character is naturally sleeping, then make it some sort of dream sequence or something that turned out to be real.

Remove ads