D&D 5E Speculation Thread: the "Wonderful, Scary, Terrifying" book being announced this month

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

So I wanted to give this it's own thread, as this book should be announced sometime this October. Now, that probably means after Fizban's release (October 19th) as not to distract from it's promotion. But I wanted to get a jump on the speculation, and a place for folks to drop that leaked Amazon placeholder for when it inevitably appears!

The timestamp is 33:50 for folks who want to watch where Perkins specifically mentions the book, but I will transcribe it;

"Now in the short-term, in the very short-term, keep your ears open for more news next month, for a new product we are releasing in 2022, that goes into a new place that we've never been before. It's a wonderful, scary... players are going to be absolutely terrified when they go into it, setting."

So, what do you think? Is it going to be truly a place we've never been before, completely original? Or is it something we just haven't explored much in 5E, like the Far Realm?

Speculate away!

Mercurius

Legend
"We've never been before" implies new, not only to 5E but to D&D. So I'm thinking it is one of the new settings.

The only new setting that we've heard whisper of, afaict, is "First World." It could be that.

Alternately it is a new plane, and a segue into Planescape.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
"We've never been before" implies new, not only to 5E but to D&D. So I'm thinking it is one of the new settings.

The only new setting that we've heard whisper of, afaict, is "First World." It could be that.

Alternately it is a new plane, and a segue into Planescape.

I actually am fairly certain it is not one of the new settings. This same panel, Perkins points out that the two new settings are in development, so may never get released. I think this book-to-be-announced is past that stage, if they are confident enough to announce-the-announcement.

I am not sure myself what it might be. Books typically don't get announced in October at all, so there's not much to go on!

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I wonder if they're doing Planescape by Degrees.

Ravenloft, Domains of Delight, Far Realm Setting, maybe a Heaven or something similar... then BAM. Planescape to travel between them.

I hold hope it'll be something less "New Plane" and more "New World" 'cause honestly I'm not a big fan of the planar gameplay, myself.

I doubt it will be as wonderful, scary, and terrifying as this:

Remove ads