Skill Focus question

Hi everyone,

I hope this hasn't been covered before (or at least recently). Can anyone tell me, if, according to the official D&D rules (including errata), is it possible to take skill focus in a skill your class cannot buy.

For instance, could a fighter take skill focus in Use Magical Device.

Thanks

Duncan

Crothian

First Post
Duncan Haldane said:
Hi everyone,

I hope this hasn't been covered before (or at least recently). Can anyone tell me, if, according to the official D&D rules (including errata), is it possible to take skill focus in a skill your class cannot buy.

For instance, could a fighter take skill focus in Use Magical Device.

Thanks

Duncan

By the rules, there doesn't seem to be anything against that, but I don't see how a Fighter could gain a bonus in a sskill he can't use.

Christian

Explorer
If he's hell-bent on wasting a feat, sure. :) Remember, to use a 'trained-only' skill, you need to have at least one rank in the skill. Skill bonuses from feats, synergy, race, etc. do not let you use these skills without spending skill points on them ...

(I suppose it might still come in handy. If you hit third level as a fighter, planning to change to rogue at fourth level, you may not want to wait until sixth to get the 'Skill Focus-Use Magic Device' feat ...)

Christian said:
If he's hell-bent on wasting a feat, sure. :) Remember, to use a 'trained-only' skill, you need to have at least one rank in the skill. Skill bonuses from feats, synergy, race, etc. do not let you use these skills without spending skill points on them ...

(I suppose it might still come in handy. If you hit third level as a fighter, planning to change to rogue at fourth level, you may not want to wait until sixth to get the 'Skill Focus-Use Magic Device' feat ...)
Ah, excellent.

That really answers the question for me - thanks

Duncan

Remove ads