• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shargin the Generator

Furby076

First Post
Am I allowed to share the character builder within my playing group? Meaning allowing my DM to install it on his computer? I know the TOC says no, but this may be a general TOC.

I remember reading that WotC is OK with this; similar to only "asking" one copy of a specific book per group, as opposed to saying everyone needs a copy of the book.

If this is true would someone post me a link from WotC?

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Am I allowed to share the character builder within my playing group? Meaning allowing my DM to install it on his computer? I know the TOC says no, but this may be a general TOC.

I remember reading that WotC is OK with this; similar to only "asking" one copy of a specific book per group, as opposed to saying everyone needs a copy of the book.

If this is true would someone post me a link from WotC?
The bolded part basically answers your question.

I'm pretty sure you can't legally do this.

Also, the thread title made me think of a mighty electrical sorcerer, Shargin the Generator, who powers his golem automatons with arcs of lightning.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I'll point out that there's nothing stopping you from using the character generator to make your entire group's characters for them. Even if only one of you has a DDI subscription, there's nothing to stop you from using the tool any way you like, as long as you don't redistribute the software.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
While it hasn't (and surely won't) be confirmed, I find it interesting that the Builder allows for five updates per month on different computers. That suggests that they're making it purposely easy for cash-strapped groups to share resources to a limited extent. The terms of service say no, however.

It is fine, however, for you to build your character on your DM's computer and just update it when you're at his house. It's also fine for you to pay for a one-month subscription every six months to update your database with all the latest books. If you ask me, that's the best deal in gaming -- and I liked it enough that I got a full year's subscription.

Furby076

First Post
I understand the legal aspect, but I thought WotC came out and said it's ok to use the stuff within the group. Just like it is OK to hand one of your players the PHB book.

The legalize in the toc is general and a CYA, but WotC may have a more "friendly" stance.

hong

WotC's bitch
I guess it's one of those things where they won't really mind, but you still shouldn't brag about it too much.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
While it hasn't (and surely won't) be confirmed, I find it interesting that the Builder allows for five updates per month on different computers. That suggests that they're making it purposely easy for cash-strapped groups to share resources to a limited extent.

More likely they recall the blowback from early gaming industry DRM adopters and the draconian restrictions on the number of personal computers allowed to carry the downloads. While five might seem like a lot of systems for one person to have and "per month" might seem to suggest that even more could be used, I take it to be a sign that they realize that they need to assume a possible extreme and go one better. It is not inconceivable that someone has a home system and a laptop and that they get a good deal on replacing them both in any given month. If it is not meant to be personally restrictive, even though it is still meant to limit it to one person, then there is no reason to play things to close to the vest and allow a DRM-style dust up to plague them in online forums as yet another DDI point of contention.

Remove ads