• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sense Motive: How do you do it?

Stormonu

Legend
Generally, I only do rolls when the PCs specifically ask for one, or if they are abnormally suspicious (perhaps they are aware the NPC has lied to them on a regular basis) or if the NPC is acting oddly (perhaps charmed or distracted by recent occurrence).

Even if the roll is made and succeeded, generally all a PC learns is something is something is amiss or a lie, not exactly what the truth is.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
My method is kind of idiosyncratic. If the player does not ask for a roll then I treat it as a passive skill. It is compared to Bluff as usual, but with a -3 penalty. As an active skill (when the player asks for a roll) then there is no penalty - you are more likely to notice things if you are actively looking for them.

For passive skills I use a sheet of randomly generated numbers, from 1-20, crossing them off as I go, so there is no tell tale rattle of dice. If successful then I pass the successful PC(s) a note. If it is a fumble (natural 1 followed by a failure) then I also respond with a note.... :p I treat the passive Spot and Search checks the same way.

The Auld Grump

Not at all. I'm suggesting this would be the way to handle a person who wants to roll Sense Motive each time an NPC says anything, as was offered as a potential problem earlier in the thread. I'd start requiring THAT player to justify their game-slowing behavior and borderline paranoia.

No one's going to bother to do that, but if you're playing say a murder mystery, I would want to use Sense Motive each and every time I interact with a potential witness or other source of information... which essentially boils down to the DM might as well roll secretly anyway.

I would probably also request one if a fair maiden ran up to my horse and wanted my to come with her into a cave and help her child or something. Adventurers tends to become quite paranoid after awhile.

ruemere

Adventurer
[...]For passive skills I use a sheet of randomly generated numbers, from 1-20, crossing them off as I go, so there is no tell tale rattle of dice. If successful then I pass the successful PC(s) a note. If it is a fumble (natural 1 followed by a failure) then I also respond with a note.... :p I treat the passive Spot and Search checks the same way.

Lovely. Still, I have two reasons I like rattling the dice - it rattles my players, too, and, since I have pretty good memory for little numbers, saves me time on actually rolling dice.

Regards,
Ruemere

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads