• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPM Pré Beta Discussion...

Cergorach

The Laughing One
RPM Pré Beta Discussion...

Good morning everyone!

I (and i think many others) have just received their Pré Beta test release of RPM. I thought it would be a good idea that the folks who are going to test it have a place to discuss it. The other thread was becomming a bit long and i thought that it's for more general discussions about RPM. I hope that this isn't a problem with Luke.

I just installed it, the splash sceen scared the heck out of me (thought it was some rogue program), pretty kewl though! Same goes for the Outlook style side bar (an MS invasion ;-). I just have started pushing some random buttons, everything looks pretty good, nice improvements!

Luke

Explorer
Re: RPM Pré Beta Discussion...

Cergorach said:
Good morning everyone!

I (and i think many others) have just received their Pré Beta test release of RPM.
I hope that this isn't a problem with Luke.

I don't mind at all.

There are less than 30 pre-beta playtesters though! I've specifically limited the call to those prepared to give me feedback on the new, enhanced combat system, and some brand new features, within a week.

Those using the current public release may, however, get something out of reading through the updated sample combat tutorial here .

Regards,

Codejoy

First Post
First impressions.

Well I got the beta also and fired it up. Some of my first impressions are: The outlook look is very nice, makes navigating things much better. In UI design its always a good idea to incorperate known conventions..and this is one that works very well with the goals of RPM. The combat stuff is intense, and very exstensive. The tutorial that was mailed out is great for getting the ground running and try as I might I couldnt find many problems in the tutorial :) It all was very helpful as to creating an encounter. Since this is just a first impressions post I will not yet go into the details of what worked and what didn't...not only that I have to play with it more. :) Oddly enough im starting and Adventure here soon and plan fully on utilizing RPM for this. This will be my first RPM used adventure. Im looking forward to it.

Regards,
Shane
p.s. more to come in a more thourough matter...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Wow. I have to say, the GUI have improved immensely.

I noticed many of the fixes that have been in the queue to be fixed have been addressed now.

I'll give the program a better look and post tomorrow in detail, finding all the minutia that need fixing. So far, though, there's been nothing to see. Great!

Luke

Explorer
Next pre-beta release

Thanks Guys,

This is going pretty well. Much more focussed than the usual feedback turn-around.

I'll make a pre-beta update available in a couple of days, so if there's any new issues you have before then, let me know.

Issues raised that I'm fixing, or have fixed, are:

Stability Issues:
- Fixed bug to "Update Classes" when you edit class levels for spells.
- Issue with "Jamis NPC Generator" import fixed.
-Issue with rebuilding the database fixed.
-Creating database objects (creatures items). An important fix. The system used to easily become unstable if you killed the program, or imported other people's data.
- "Groups" and "players" now included as part of adventure import/export.
- The combat tutorial has been updated to be easier to follow.
- Critical damage rolls fixed.
- Automatic initiative sorting for all cases ( start of round, and skipping defeated creatures ).
- Racial subclasses get properly cleared if you change the race in character/creature generation.
- Registration of RPMnetworkPrj.ocx on startup (not important anyway).
- When you create a wand, you can select the spell effect and caster level for it now.
- "Auto-complete" optional button for attacks and damage.

BattleMap features:
- Eliminate "jerkiness" when clicking/moving creatures.
- Show distance moved as you move creatures, and update stepped/moved.
- Show important status info (active, can act, can act full, stepped, moved...).
- "Missing File" issue addressed.
- As you move creatures, the total distance is displayed. Helps limit a 5' step to 5'.

Working my way through a good play tester recommendation now...

Thanks,

Raz0rwyre

First Post
Battlemap Wish-list

After playing with the Battlemap some, here are some changes/additions/enhancements I'd love to see:

- Ability to move a character one square at a time, perhaps with the keyboard arrow keys, limiting their movement to what they are capable of on their character sheet. Of course, this could be overridden by dragging the character with the mouse (for teleports, flying spells, etc.).

- Instant random-ish battlemaps. Example: my party is currently in a snowy mountain area. Mostly it's all the same terrain... a snow-covered, rocky area with a couple dead trees and lots of boulders. To generate a random encounter, I just take a handful of dice and drop them on the battlemap...wherever they land is where trees and boulders are. This kind of randomly generated battlemap would be fantastic in RPM!

- Ability to 'snap' characters to squares, again so they follow more accurate movement rules.

- On-map diagrams to show the effects of grenadelike weapons, radius-bases spell effects, cone effects, etc. etc. You get the picture.

Last edited:

nickT

First Post
Pre Beta discussion

And after all that I post it to the wrong thread!!!!!

Hi,
Just thought I would get something on screen to show that I am awake. I have played with RPM and must admit to being favourably impressed, I am in the process of writing a similar piece of software for my Gurps Campaign, and I am painfully aware of how the computer can get between the GM and the players. Because of this I have not yet used RPM in my D&D campaign, (first impressions are important, and I didn't want my players to see me struggling with RPM, since this would build up resistance to my employing it later). Having said this I hope to use it next Friday, assuming I have time to get the controls under my belt. I have done a small amount of testing using the tutorial, and have noticed a couple of points, some of which I think have already been addressed :-

Skills input.
why do you disallow 1/2 points in skills? If I am attempting to mirror a PC in RPM, I can see the possibility of an odd half point hanging around waiting for their next level advance.

Subtype not clearing if creature type is changed.

Printing option.
If you click the right-arrow when on the last item of a creature list, then attempt to print , you will get a blank page displayed, (problem does not appear to occur when trying to print the item before the first creature on the list.

Bonus's for Masterworks/magical weapons.
The Player's Manual (very end of page 114) specificly states that the Masterwork bonus does not stack with Magical bonuses, (yes I know, I think that stinks as well, paying 2000GP just to gain +1 damage!)
Damn, I knew there was something I forgot!

I am not sure whether I mentioned this before, but as a personal wish list entry I would LOVE the ability to extensively layer the battlemaps,
I now use PSP for my maps on screen during play, and the ability to show the players new bits of map as they turn corners or open doors, greatly improves the suspense of the game, and adds to the feel of exploring a hitherto unknown realm.
What do you think? is that a possibility for a later enhancement?
NickT

Things spoted since I discovered that this had not been added to the thread

1. Point blank skill should not give +1 damage when using a net

2.When you add a creature using the wizard, on the classes screen you do not appear to be able to input a level for the class in the input box at the bottom of the screen

3.How would I set up a new feat of ' Extra Rage' for a barbarian?

4.When attempting to add a skill, spell or racial template in the maintainance section I get the following errors respectively :-

tabConfig field idskill not found
tab Config Field isSpell not found
and
tabRace Dataset not in edit or insert mode.

I love Beta Testing you can spend all your time complaining and be able to justify it!

I like the Combat system, I still get lost in it occassionally but it shows great promise.

NickT

Luke

Explorer
Re: Pre Beta discussion

nickT said:

I love Beta Testing you can spend all your time complaining and be able to justify it!

I like the Combat system, I still get lost in it occassionally but it shows great promise.

NickT

Check the other thread to see most of your questions already answered.

I'll check into these issues you mention, but the main thrust of the pre-beta is too get feedback on the new combat model (as per the supplied tutorial). I need to have confidence in the combat model before proceeding to code out the other stuff you mention.
Any comments on the combat tutorial yet? Ideas for improvement?

Thanks,

nickT

First Post
Battle map queries

I have a terrible habit of writing replys to messages before I have finished reading the thread, the number of times I discover the answer to my question later on, or find I am just repeating what someone else has said more elequently, sigh :eek:

Battlemap suggestions:-

1. when you press 'start first round' automatically order by initiative.

2. can you use different icons for the different groups involved in an encounter? ( the party and monster icons for the creature list would be fine).

3. can you use different icons(or colouring of icons), for creatures that are not active, ie dead/dying/unconcious.

4. can you highlight the creature with the highest current initiative, (this means that if you move to someone else to do a AOO you can go back to the right creature without having to check on the creature list)

5.I expected to see code for checking if a creature was in range for a melee attack etc. Personally I see this sort of checking of moves and ranges as crucial for any battlemap implementation, but I do accept that the coding of such is an absolute nightmare.
Are you planning anything of that type, or have I just missed the appropriate controls.

As an experiment I tried running a combat simulation with the Display options set to ' order by name', (That way I could name my creatures so that members of the party appeared together!) as far as I can make out this totally screws up the 'current creature initiative completed' code.

Am I right in thinking that the magic options have not yet been coded?

Someone suggested a list of what had been implemented and what has not, this has my vote, if nothing else it would stop me bothering you, telling you about 'bugs' that exist because the code isn't written yet!

By the by, I am very impressed with the speed with which you reply to my ramblings, I wish I could manage that sort of turn around!

Keep up the good work
NickT

Luke

Explorer
Re: Battle map queries

nickT said:

1. when you press 'start first round' automatically order by initiative.
Done.

2. can you use different icons for the different groups involved in an encounter? ( the party and monster icons for the creature list would be fine).
3. can you use different icons(or colouring of icons), for creatures that are not active, ie dead/dying/unconcious.
For the BattleMap you mean? Yes, but will need extra stability tests. Will delay till after the next update.

4. can you highlight the creature with the highest current initiative, (this means that if you move to someone else to do a AOO you can go back to the right creature without having to check on the creature list)
Done. There's an extra-wide marker underneath the currently selected creature (usually the "current initiative").

5.I expected to see code for checking if a creature was in range for a melee attack etc. Personally I see this sort of checking of moves and ranges as crucial for any battlemap implementation, but I do accept that the coding of such is an absolute nightmare.
Are you planning anything of that type, or have I just missed the appropriate controls.
I think it's a bit early in RPM's evolution for that. I want a better indication of how well people even take to the combat model first. The BattleMap is optional after all, so the code wouldn't even necessarily be used.

As an experiment I tried running a combat simulation with the Display options set to ' order by name', (That way I could name my creatures so that members of the party appeared together!) as far as I can make out this totally screws up the 'current creature initiative completed' code.
Simply can't switch to "by name" if you want initiative managed properly. Why do you want to see the characters listed together. From the icon pictures, it's pretty obvious which is which.

Am I right in thinking that the magic options have not yet been coded?
Do you mean code scriptlets for all the various spells?

Someone suggested a list of what had been implemented and what has not, this has my vote, if nothing else it would stop me bothering you, telling you about 'bugs' that exist because the code isn't written yet!
Yeah. I've started to manage a Task list in Microsoft Outlook, and am thinking about how to mail that to pre-beta testers in updates.

Keep up the good work
NickT

Thanks Nick!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads