• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) (+) Reviving Ideas from DnDnext

• Manoeuvres for all martials as standard.
  • Sorcerer being actually unique and interesting, rather than a gimped wizard with the metamagic feat glued on.
Yeah, fighters being good #1.
And damage on a miss.
yes all martial (and as such introduce that ranger and paladin are half martials) have maneuvers and some of those include damage on a miss
also sorcerer not just being the wizard with meta magic

It is also why personally I use PM (private message), but no worries. :D
if you think that is bad don't google what other things then At the Moment and Automated Teller Machine share the same abbriviation... and realize that in a game I had someone mean At the Moment, I asked what this had to do with a teller machine, and that players then girlfriend blurted out she thought he meant the other one... context should have told us it was at the moment.

HammerMan

Legend
if you think that is bad don't google what other things then At the Moment and Automated Teller Machine share the same abbriviation... and realize that in a game I had someone mean At the Moment, I asked what this had to do with a teller machine, and that players then girlfriend blurted out she thought he meant the other one... context should have told us it was at the moment.
That reminds me of the story of the mom who horrified her daughter by sending LOL meaning lots of love after someone died… but the daughter got the LOL and thought laughing out loud.

We get a lesson in work on why not to use abbreviation and that is always an example

kapars

Adventurer
Ki points were a bit different. You started with 2 at first level, but it only went up roughly every third level. You also got an expertise dice, that started at 1d6 at 2nd level, up to 1d12 at 18th.

Unarmed attacks started at 1d6 damage. You also got the following features:

View attachment 156772

Instead of having passive movement increases, you used a ki point to increase your movement by 15ft (step of the wind). Same with other standard current abilities like missile deflection and making your attacks magical. The original monk had you spend a ki point to do those. Most of the Way of the Elements abilities, you spend a ki point to either damage someone(s) by 1d10 points, or gain damage reduction by 1d10. 1d10 seemed to be the key die to use for many of those abilities.

Expertise is you choosing either Dex or Wisdom, and from that point forward, any ability check you have to make using that ability would add the expertise die
Is this the Ki per short rest or long rest? It seems even more harsh than it is now. Did they get maneuvers like other martials?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Is this the Ki per short rest or long rest? It seems even more harsh than it is now. Did they get maneuvers like other martials?
Long rest. But maneuvers were less dependent on ki, most of them were free and only highly mystical ones used ki, and they only cost 1 point.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
While there were several things I'm glad didn't stick around, I absolutely do miss some stuff from it. Both the Sorcerer and the Warlock were much better conceptually and more distinctly flavorful. Seeing WotC run skittish after the very first feedback round on those things, despite digging in its heels about other features that were not well-received (like the proficiency dice), was proof enough to me that the playtest wasn't actually serious about doing interesting things.

They won't bring these things back with 5.5e, much as I would like them to. But there may someday be a thing where we get to see what a Sorcerer and Warlock might have looked like if they'd stuck with the model they'd gone with originally.

Honestly, Sorcerer could have been something really, really cool. Every subclass could've been a significantly different experience, with your bloodline features pushing you toward a different playstyle and away from "squishy caster." We saw the Dragon sorcerer: slowly going from a light-armored sword-wielder to a savage maelstrom of elements and claws and teeth. What would a Shadow sorcerer be? Perhaps becoming a life-stealing echo of physicality, striking from unexpected directions and flirting with dissolving into entropic nothingness. A Storm Sorcerer could literally have become a living storm, every move light the flash of lightning, every strike a thunderbolt. Chaos? Imagine slowly losing physical form, physical locality, blurring with alternate universe versions of yourself or dissolving into a Star Trek-style changeling.

But nope. The, ahem, Traditionalists couldn't stand it, it wasn't traditional enough. So it had to go. And now they complain that it's just a worse Wizard....

It's almost like that's what a minority demanded, and then nobody (not even them!) actually liked it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads