• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Review] Valda's Spire of Secrets is my favorite expansion in all of 5E

Yalım

Explorer
I mean, I'm assuming we've all run successful 5e sessions using primarily the PHB material. Why would we need the power level delta in a homebrew book to be even MORE stringent than the PHB?
Oop sorry I missed this.

Running content with a wide power delta is a PITA. I need to be aware of the power profile of the moon druid, ward new players off Berserker Barbs & Assassin Rogues, plan for owl familiar scouts, jack the power of enemies way up for the peace cleric, yadda yadda. With the PHB I can at least google "moon druid strong" / "5e assassin weak" and get a dozen+ opinions on each class's power, what levels they're problematic at, how to make their abilities relevant in stories, etc. With 3rd-party & homebrew stuff, I don't have that luxury, and my time gets stretched thinner & thinner as the list of allowed brews grow.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Oop sorry I missed this.

Running content with a wide power delta is a PITA. I need to be aware of the power profile of the moon druid, ward new players off Berserker Barbs & Assassin Rogues, plan for owl familiar scouts, jack the power of enemies way up for the peace cleric, yadda yadda. With the PHB I can at least google "moon druid strong" / "5e assassin weak" and get a dozen+ opinions on each class's power, what levels they're problematic at, how to make their abilities relevant in stories, etc. With 3rd-party & homebrew stuff, I don't have that luxury, and my time gets stretched thinner & thinner as the list of allowed brews grow.
That sounds like a lot of work I don't bother with. :)

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I found a full preview on anyflip, and dang that is a chonky book. I really like the Familiar Master Wizard subclass. And lots of other things!
One of my groups was working on new characters on Saturday, and several players really got excited when they were flipping through the book. I think I'll have a few PCs using some of the options for our next session.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads