• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Redo 2: Select the ONE non d20 game you would play?

Which non d20/D&D game would you play if you could only play ONE?

• Alternity

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • HERO System

Votes: 27 5.8%
  • GURPS

Votes: 42 9.1%
  • Call of Cthulhu - BRP

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Shadowrun

Votes: 49 10.6%
  • Exalted

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • WEG d6

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Uni-System

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Ars Magica

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • World of Darkness - new or old

Votes: 38 8.2%
  • Talislanta

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Rolemaster - any version

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Traveller

Votes: 21 4.5%
  • Savage Worlds

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • HARP

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Hackmaster

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Paranoia

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Tri-Stat dx

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Rifts/Palladiumverse

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 59 12.8%

Alternity and CoC/BRP were tough to decide between, but I ended up picking Alternity. I'd really like to see that engine modified for fantasy, actually. Top Secret S.I. might have been a contender too, if it had been listed.

Second tier choices would have been GURPS, Traveller, World of Darkness (specifically Werewolf, I think) and WHFRP, which was not listed.

And a wildcard could have been the Decipher Lord of the Rings game, which would make a good generic fantasy engine, IMO. But I've never actually played it, so I can't tell for sure.

Acid_crash

First Post
CarlZog said:
ALTERNITY.

It's what d20 should have been: A brilliantly designed, purely skill-based system that is simple, yet realistic, and incredibly flexible. Alternity's primary published settings barely scratched the surface of its potential, and WotC continues to feed off its bones for d20 Modern/Future.

Visit www.alternity.net
and www.tequilastarrise.net

I love this game.

I did enjoy this system also, and it would be my wife's pick if she could pick one on here.

A two year lifespan for this system just didn't do it service, quite a shame but I think they wrote it off after six months when the EXPECTED sales didn't come in as they thought it should have been, and since it didn't sell the same as D&D (c'mon, who are they kidding), they cancelled it. Bad bad baaaaaaaad decision making.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I said HackMaster. It revamped and cleaned up AD&D 1e/2e, even if it added a lot of complexity. Stuff like Honor and the rules for armor hit points are actually cool to see, even if stuff like racial level limits for PC classes remain to clog up the game. The Player's Handbook and GameMaster's Guide are two of the best RPG books I've read, with the GMG being the one I like better.

Alternity is a good second choice. While 3e took a few things from it, it wouldn't have been a good choice for 3e as a game engine - if people wanted a skill-based system for D&D, it would've been used. I know I wouldn't have bought that kind of D&D. That doesn't mean Alternity isn't a good game - it is. It's just that it's a good alternative, so to speak, to the more mainstream game. Plus, Alternity's various supplements are really good.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Joshua Dyal said:
And a wildcard could have been the Decipher Lord of the Rings game, which would make a good generic fantasy engine, IMO. But I've never actually played it, so I can't tell for sure.

I ran a campaign for it for a couple of months, and yeah, it would make a great "generic" engine for a fantasy game, especially one with an epic, high fantasy feel.

Taladas

Well I picked Paranoia in the poll, because "we have met the enemy and he is us" :D

However the game I would most like to play is Nobilis. I would really like to be involved in a wickedly cool and exquisite campaign of Nobilis.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads