• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers Rebel Moon-my spoiler review

Cergorach

The Laughing One
A lot of folks are missing all the stuff that was 'inspired' by 40k (as in Warhammer 40,000), which in turn had 'borrowed' a lot from other sources, just like most of the IPs this movie was 'inspired' by... Which I kinda find ironic. ;)

Is it a great movie? No! But it was interesting, like the little engine that could... Not... Most of it was fine, I can even stand a lot of the stuff that folks here found horrendous. But there was often something jarring and I can't really put my finger on it what it was. I'm certainly not watching the movie again to figure it out, but I'll watch part #2.

Some parts really gave me a feel of Lexx, a kind of 'clean', but disturbing vibe.

I suspect that if someone ever compiles a list of all the 'inspiration' source, a lot of us will go "Oh... Yeah! That tracks.".

But there was often something jarring and I can't really put my finger on it what it was.
I don't know if it's the same thing, but going from the trailers (I can't be bothered to watch the whole thing and don't want to give Netflix the wrong idea), a lot of the visual design seems... off. Incoherent. Part of it is pulling from a lot of difference sources - particularly Star Wars, Dune and yes, 40K, but even in the trailers it's obvious that he hasn't then re-melded that into a consistent aesthetic whole. Whereas 40K, despite drawing on many sources, has been very successful in achieving an aesthetic consistency that works really well (and even effectively being somewhat original or at least not obvious derivative in the way it combined certain ideas). The colour palette for the visual design isn't great either, somehow managing to look very washed out and only using muted greens/reds/blacks/light greys (I hesitate to say white). It lacks the visual impact of something like 300, or the visual consistency even of say, Army of the Dead (just to compare it to his own other works). It does remind me a bit of Man of Steel in terms of how it's washed out, but even then it seems more washed-out. And I feel like going for washed out and muted colours in a heroic space opera is a profoundly bad decision.

I'm just theorizing, but I personally find the visual design and colour palette very off-putting, and I wonder if that's part of what's jarring.

(It also does somehow look like Lexx as you say and I'm not sure what's going on there, and I don't think it's intentional - I very much doubt Snyder has seen or would care for Lexx.)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My thoughts are they didn’t know if they wanted a space opera like Star Wars/dune or a sci-fi western samurai/magnificent 7. So shoe horned both to push this into 2+ movies. It’s all going to suffer for it too.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
My thoughts are they didn’t know if they wanted a space opera like Star Wars/dune or a sci-fi western samurai/magnificent 7. So shoe horned both to push this into 2+ movies. It’s all going to suffer for it too.
There was zero character development. Why even go get all those people just to not even learn about them?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads