• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Random Ravenloft/Curse of Strahd thought

Not sure why this thought occurred to me now, but I have to say...

If I were Strahd von Zarovich, I would create a whole crapload of fake sunswords and Holy Symbols of Ravenkind, slap Nystul's magic aura on all of them, and hide them throughout Barovia. :]

And if I ever do run another Ravenloft campaign, I think he will have done exactly that.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This does beg the question though of why we think Strahd knows the Sunsword and the Holy Symbol are in his realm in the first place? He wouldn't create all these duplicates unless he believed both artifacts were still in his realm (because otherwise there'd be no need to try and trick adventurers with fakes). But if he knows the artifacts are in his realm, why wouldn't he use his time and energy just to find the artifacts and then have the Vistani take them out of the Baratok Valley and into the mists? Then he doesn't have to worry about them anymore?

Or are you thinking that perhaps Strahd DOES have the real artifacts removed from his realm, but he then makes and leaves a bunch of duplicates around just to be a massive jerk? That'd actually be kind of funny. :)

It'd kind of screw up Madam Eva's card readings though. "The Sunsword can be found... in the Village of Barovia's Chapel! So go, adventurers, and find-- oh. Wait. I'm sorry. I was wrong... the Sunsword can be found in the Tomb of the Brother! There you will-- no, no, hang on, hang on, getting another reading... the Sunsword is in the Amber Temp-- nope, I mean in the wagon of a circus ringmas-- a werewolf cav-- the Abbey of-- all right, now this is getting ridiculous!!! WHO GAVE ME THESE CARDS?!?"

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The question is whether this addition to the adventure will be fun for everyone and help create an exciting, memorable story. I could see it being quite frustrating for some players and lead to a lot of going in circles.

This does beg the question though of why we think Strahd knows the Sunsword and the Holy Symbol are in his realm in the first place? He wouldn't create all these duplicates unless he believed both artifacts were still in his realm (because otherwise there'd be no need to try and trick adventurers with fakes). But if he knows the artifacts are in his realm, why wouldn't he use his time and energy just to find the artifacts and then have the Vistani take them out of the Baratok Valley and into the mists? Then he doesn't have to worry about them anymore?

Or are you thinking that perhaps Strahd DOES have the real artifacts removed from his realm, but he then makes and leaves a bunch of duplicates around just to be a massive jerk? That'd actually be kind of funny. :)

It'd kind of screw up Madam Eva's card readings though. "The Sunsword can be found... in the Village of Barovia's Chapel! So go, adventurers, and find-- oh. Wait. I'm sorry. I was wrong... the Sunsword can be found in the Tomb of the Brother! There you will-- no, no, hang on, hang on, getting another reading... the Sunsword is in the Amber Temp-- nope, I mean in the wagon of a circus ringmas-- a werewolf cav-- the Abbey of-- all right, now this is getting ridiculous!!! WHO GAVE ME THESE CARDS?!?"

I've always sort of assumed that he knows they're present, but neither he nor his agents can find them--perhaps due to the machinations of the Dark Powers themselves. So his next best bet is to muddy the waters.

Although the idea of him having gotten rid of them and still creating fakes does, indeed, have its amusement value. :D

As far as the card readings, I'd probably have Eva be a bit confused and, if pressed, admit to some cloudiness--as though something were trying to interfere with the reading--when she announced the item locations.

I've always sort of assumed that he knows they're present, but neither he nor his agents can find them--perhaps due to the machinations of the Dark Powers themselves. So his next best bet is to muddy the waters.

Sort of like the One Ring, but not a property of the items themselves. Every time an agent of the Darklord gets close, something just goes wrong.

Remove ads