• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Question About Spells Like "Darkness"

Magic Rub

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Let's just say, that darkness works like light, only the other way around :D

So do you cast a light shadow, because you're blocking the effect? would people outside of the area of Darkness be able to see in to shadows like a tunnel?

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 192

Magic Rub

First Post
kreynolds said:
I always envisioned it as a sphere with a 20-foot radius. Also, I believe it is supposed to be an emanation.

Like a light spell, darkness does not persist through solid barriers. If you cast Darkness on a small marble and close your fist around it, the darkness doesn't radiate beyond your hand.

My last post applies to this as well.

kreynolds

First Post
Magic Rub said:
So do you cast a light shadow, because you're blocking the effect? would people outside of the area of Darkness be able to see in to shadows like a tunnel?

From the PH...
An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect.

I still don't think humans block line of effect. YMMV.

Magic Rub

First Post
kreynolds said:
I still don't think humans block line of effect. YMMV.

As I thought it doesn't work "like light", as no shadow is cast. IMO Light spell(s) run on a slightly different emanation rule then darkness

What about closed windows? Will the darkness carry past the glass or is the line of effect blocked. IMO it's blocked

Don't take me the wrong way with all of these questions. I'm of the same mind set as you are on all of this K.R.. I'm just trying to clear this up for people who may not know.

kreynolds

First Post
Magic Rub said:
As I thought it doesn't work "like light", as no shadow is cast. IMO Light spell(s) run on a slightly different emanation rule then darkness

For simplicity's sake, and to avoid having to give a thin reason as to why light spells don't extend beyond people, I treat them just like any other emanation. If the spell has line of effect, it continues on beyond the object or creature in the area (i.e. for light spells, there aren't any shadows).

I honestly don't have a problem with a normal torch not "bending" around a creature, but magic doesn't work that way.

Magic Rub said:
What about closed windows? Will the darkness carry past the glass or is the line of effect blocked. IMO it's blocked

I agree. Glass doesn't block line of sight, but it does block line of effect. I don't know if the intent is to have glass block light or darkness spells, but the letter of the rules states that it would.

Magic Rub said:
Don't take me the wrong way with all of these questions. I'm of the same mind set as you are on all of this K.R.. I'm just trying to clear this up for people who may not know.

It's all good. :cool:

Magic Rub

First Post
kreynolds said:
Very nice diagram! :)

It's one of the side benifits to my job... As a DM it kinda makes me feel like Wile E. Coyote sometimes. Big blueprints/technical plans of mazes, traps, & death machines. It's really cool when your players "quiz" you & you can not only give them the D&D rules side of it, but you also pull out a big honkin' drawing and show them to. :)

Remove ads