• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions about 4th Edition

Rineran Foxfire

First Post
So I have just recently got back into D&D with a group of friends but we are all new to 4th Edition. So here are a few questions I had that I could not figure out on my own.

1. When looking at the 4e character sheet I noticed how ability modifiers are there as in the past but then there is Mod + 1/2 Level. So I'm assuming as a 4th Level Ranger with say a 19 STR my base is 19, my mod is +4 and my Mod+Level is +6. Now when I am totaling up my attack bonus there is a box for Ability and Level, do I use the +6 and then add another +2 for my level or is it base mod which is +4 and then add the +2 for level? The part that is confusing to me is when does the +6 mod/level come into play if damage and attack bonus among other things have a separate box for the level plus.

You only add 1/2 level once. So say you are using a longbow (+2 proficiency bonus weapon) and you are 4th level with 19 Dex you would have +4 (dex) +2 (level) +2 (bow prof bonus) = +8 to-hit. You might also have feat based static bonus added to that if you have Weapon Expertise for instance (its in PHB2, you may not have that). Then of course you could have situational bonuses and penalties, but those won't be on your sheet normally. A few classes (fighter, rogue) also have a bonus from a class feature for most attacks, that would also show on your sheet.

The Human Target

Adventurer
What he said.

If you guys have the cash between you the official DnD 4E character builder is super helpful, especially when you're just starting out since it tallies up everything for you. Then you can learn the rules and reverse engineer the character.

Festivus

First Post
Cash? You don't need cash. Use the trial version and see if that helps you to figure stuff out. But I will say that the CB is very much worth the price.

DracoSuave

First Post
So I have just recently got back into D&D with a group of friends but we are all new to 4th Edition. So here are a few questions I had that I could not figure out on my own.

1. When looking at the 4e character sheet I noticed how ability modifiers are there as in the past but then there is Mod + 1/2 Level. So I'm assuming as a 4th Level Ranger with say a 19 STR my base is 19, my mod is +4 and my Mod+Level is +6. Now when I am totaling up my attack bonus there is a box for Ability and Level, do I use the +6 and then add another +2 for my level or is it base mod which is +4 and then add the +2 for level? The part that is confusing to me is when does the +6 mod/level come into play if damage and attack bonus among other things have a separate box for the level plus.

Hey, welcome back to D&D.

It is true that the attack, armor class, and other lines all have a place for your level bonus. So, it seems at first glance (hey, why do I have this extra space for a modifier here) that it's redundant, however that extra 'half level + mod' space by the attributes is VERY helpful.

1) Do a Strength check. You use the mod + half level entry. Much easier when it's already there for you.

2) Do a skill check for something you don't have.

3) It makes calculating attack bonuses much easier if you just use that and go.

Armor's a bit tricky, because you may or may not add in the ability modifier, but for anything else, it's quicker to just use those raw values straight up.

ourchair

First Post
I don't know about you guys, but sometimes the Character Builder gets things wrong. Well okay it gets 98% of the math right -- like when they gonna finish making items with passive bonuses to skill checks be applied consistenty? -- but I'm just saying is all.

Remove ads