• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Permanency scroll cost

Taluron

"Because magic item creation feats cost the creator not the user."

While true this isn't necessarily relevent. Item creation feats do not require the use of the Permanency spell.

Macbrea

First Post
Maybe, I didn't quote the original sections correctly.

CREATING SCROLLS

The character needs a supply of choice writing materials, the cost of which is subsumed in the cost for scribing the scroll - 12.5 gp per level of the spell times the level of the caster. All writing implements and materials used to scribe a scroll must be fresh and unused. The character must pay the full cost for scribing each spell scroll no matter how many times she previously has scribed the same spell.

The creator must have prepared the spell to be scribed (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any material components or focuses the spell requires. If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, she pays the cost upon beginning the scroll in addition to the XP cost for making the scroll itself. Likewise, material components are consumed when she begins writing, but focuses are not. (A focus used in scribing a scroll can be reused.) The act of writing triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)

Scribing a scroll requires one day per each 1,000 gp value of the completed scroll.

Emphesis is mine. It wasn't added but just highlighted.

Belares

First Post
"Because magic item creation feats cost the creator not the user."

I understand this, but it is not a item creation feat.

I am saying that the scroll itself can be done without making something/someone have the permanant spell cast on it/them. The user of the scroll should be made to lose exp if he uses the scroll with the spell he wants to make something/someone have the permancy cast on it/him. I just wondered about this is all and it obviously may not be the rule.

Macbrea

First Post
The reason I stated what I did is by the rules. The scriber of the permancy scroll must pay the exp cost at the time of creation of the scroll. Since, he doesn't know what the scroll is to be used for if he is giving it away then he must set an amount its worth.

I. E.

Scribe scroll permancy cast at 11th level.
The scroll has 1000 exp stored in it for purposes of casting spells which can be permancied.

Both the scroll cost and the 1000 exp is paid by the scriber.

Last edited:

Antikinesis

First Post
Belares said:
I understand this, but it is not a item creation feat.
Scribe Scroll is an item creation feat, along with Brew Potion, Craft Wand, Craft Magic Armor/Weapon, etc.

The rules are pretty clear about the creator (the person with the feat) providing any needed XP, but an assistant could provide the needed spells (if the desired spell is on the assistant's list of castable spells).

-AK

Belares

First Post
Scribe Scroll is an item creation feat, along with Brew Potion, Craft Wand, Craft Magic Armor/Weapon, etc.

You 100% correct I was thinking of something entirely different at the time. Don't remember what it was though.

With that said then you cannot make just the scroll itself permancy then use it to make something permanent. The scroll itself must be what you want to make permanent on object/person, using it and spell, correct?

kreynolds

First Post
Belares said:
With that said then you cannot make just the scroll itself permancy then use it to make something permanent. The scroll itself must be what you want to make permanent on object/person, using it and spell, correct?

Technically...yes. Take this, for example. Your kid, when he's all growed up, wants to be an adventurer, but unfortunately for him, he's human. YUCK! Little buggar needs darkvision! So, you wanna set him up with a little present when he's off age that will give him darkvision. So, you create the scroll, and since a scroll can have multiple spells, voila!

Scroll - Permanency (includes necessary XP to make darkvision permanent), Darkvision.

Now, you leave the instructions behind for your kid...Read scroll and cast darkvision on yourself, then read scroll again and cast permanency on the darkvision on yourself. Happy B-day!

What you can't do is combine these two spells into one simple step. They will function just as if cast normally, so they have to be separate, but you can place them both on the scroll.

You can, however, create a scroll of permanency that has only 500XP in it, which is just enough XP to make a 1st level spell, like Darkvision, permanent on someone. So, someone finds this scroll and hangs onto it until they have something to apply it to.

Last edited:

Antikinesis

First Post
kreynolds said:
What you can't do is combine these two spells into one simple step. They will function just as if cast normally, so they have to be separate, but you can place them both on the scroll.

Just like you can't put a fifth level spell (permanancy, e.g.) in a wand. Ain't that right, Not-Sean? :D

Remove ads