• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder To Get New Core Rulebooks Soon

New books are a reorganization and consolidation rather than a new edition

PlayerCore_CoverMock_1200.png

It's not just D&D that's getting a 'revised' set of core books--Pathfinder is also getting 'remastered' books! The core rulebooks are being replaced by a new set of books, with new names, but like D&D it is being reiterated that this is not a new edition--"With the exception of a few minor variations in terminology and a slightly different mix of monsters, spells, and magic items, the rules remain largely unchanged."

The existing Pathfinder Core Rulebook, Gamemastery Guide, Bestiary, and Advanced Player’s Guide are being replaced with Pathfinder Player Core, Pathfinder GM Core, Pathfinder Monster Core, and Pathfinder Player Core 2.

These books appear to focus on re-organization and consolidation of existing material rather than substantive changes. They also represent Paizo's move away from the Open Gaming License and towards the new Open RPG Creative (ORC) license. Paizo says "This transition will result in a few minor modifications to the Pathfinder Second Edition system, notably the removal of alignment and a small number of nostalgic creatures, spells, and magic items exclusive to the OGL. These elements remain a part of the corpus of Pathfinder Second Edition rules for those who still want them, and are fully compatible with the new remastered rules, but will not appear in future Pathfinder releases."

Retreater

Legend
They are replacing 4 existing books with 4 new books, so...
You could run PF2 with the Core Rulebook and Bestiary. Now you need GM Core, Monster Core, and 2 Player Books (potentially, depending on your class). The Gamemastery Guide and APG were optional.
Where is this from, do not see that in the announcement. If anything they consolidate the APG part of the base classes in one book instead of having it spread out over two.
There are classes from the Core Rulebook being put in Players 2 (I saw Barbarian for sure) as well as APG classes going in Player 1 (I saw Witch for sure).
I've been reading about it a bit, so I don't remember the exact source, but I recall it was reputable. Maybe on the Paizo blog.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
No numerical ability scores….odd change from an initial take.
Looking at a summary of changes, I see that this is really in there. Yes, I know this is really a change of presentation, but it is a major change to how characters are visualized. From a practical standpoint, this isn't much of a change, but I'm going to say that it's a real one to me. With this change, I suspect there will be a lot more going on than was initially presented. Okay, I was seriously really wrong.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Except for expanded weapon proficiencies for rogue and wizard. Doing away with alignment for damage types and resistances. Striking out anything that could be tied to the SRD.
Just minor stuff.
Aw they are killing alignment 🙄
I'm not thrilled about needing 4 books to do what 2 did previously.
I suppose Archives of Nethys really is the best way when you're going to be updating your rulebooks after 3 years. (Even if I did like buying the books to show support.)
It will stink for PFS, which doesn't allow Nethys.
And 3pp who have stuff that's going to be outdated in a few months.
I guess we can all blame WotC for this, ultimately.
The PFS guys use watermark PDFs to be legal. I know its still 4 books but cheaper and easier to use.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads