• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder To Get New Core Rulebooks Soon

New books are a reorganization and consolidation rather than a new edition

PlayerCore_CoverMock_1200.png

It's not just D&D that's getting a 'revised' set of core books--Pathfinder is also getting 'remastered' books! The core rulebooks are being replaced by a new set of books, with new names, but like D&D it is being reiterated that this is not a new edition--"With the exception of a few minor variations in terminology and a slightly different mix of monsters, spells, and magic items, the rules remain largely unchanged."

The existing Pathfinder Core Rulebook, Gamemastery Guide, Bestiary, and Advanced Player’s Guide are being replaced with Pathfinder Player Core, Pathfinder GM Core, Pathfinder Monster Core, and Pathfinder Player Core 2.

These books appear to focus on re-organization and consolidation of existing material rather than substantive changes. They also represent Paizo's move away from the Open Gaming License and towards the new Open RPG Creative (ORC) license. Paizo says "This transition will result in a few minor modifications to the Pathfinder Second Edition system, notably the removal of alignment and a small number of nostalgic creatures, spells, and magic items exclusive to the OGL. These elements remain a part of the corpus of Pathfinder Second Edition rules for those who still want them, and are fully compatible with the new remastered rules, but will not appear in future Pathfinder releases."

I know Paizo stated previously they felt enough changes had been made in 2e to not need the OGL, but maybe a thorough review came up with some areas that may be questionable and this remastered version was at their legal team's suggestion to better transition to ORC.
I'm a little behind on all that. Is ORC finalized and locked in?

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
I just wanted to point out that I've already seen discussion of some class updates, so it seems like there will be actual changes, so file this under "SteveC was wrong". That doesn't really discourage me, but I get how people who just bought new rulebooks will likely not be happy. Hopefully changes will be super minor and we'll move on. Still not planning on new physical books at this point.
They mentioned on stream the class changes are mostly the ones on the errata slate for this year.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Except for expanded weapon proficiencies for rogue and wizard. Doing away with alignment for damage types and resistances. Striking out anything that could be tied to the SRD.
Just minor stuff. ;)

Sans the alignment change, that does read as minor to me- i have the wizard and rogue thing sitting in a 2 sentence houserule. A few monsters and spells are getting rennamed or replaced. That is very little and could be an errata.

The alignment shift is the big ticket item.

Retreater

Legend
I'm not thrilled about needing 4 books to do what 2 did previously.
I suppose Archives of Nethys really is the best way when you're going to be updating your rulebooks after 3 years. (Even if I did like buying the books to show support.)
It will stink for PFS, which doesn't allow Nethys.
And 3pp who have stuff that's going to be outdated in a few months.
I guess we can all blame WotC for this, ultimately.

mamba

Legend
Except that some GMs don't use the Gamemasters Guide, but will have to purchase it now to get magic items.
Except that some tables don't use the APG classes (which are more complex than those in the Core Rules), but now will have to purchase it to get access to the other classes.
Where is this from, do not see that in the announcement. If anything they consolidate the APG part of the base classes in one book instead of having it spread out over two.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads