• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder 3: The Hook Mountain Massacre

Monkey King

Explorer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Overall, I'm very happy with the Pathfinder series, but I'm starting to worry if it's going to keep pushing the wierd boundary every month until it becomes sometihng I don't want.

Allow me to say that Pathfinder #4 is not a horror adventure.

It's a more traditional style of D&D adventure, where creepy is just one of the notes, and not the dominant one. There are maybe 2 encounters that will freak out players with particular phobias.

The title, "Fortress of the Stone Giants", should give you some idea of the direction it takes.

frog

Explorer
I can tell you for sure that between Pathfinder #2 and #3 there would be at least one person in my group that might be having nightmares. Of course, the others might be laughing about it but you know how that goes...

Just the thought of the "boys" saying "momma's gonna like you, yer pretty" to any of the characters gives me the shivers.

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
It doesn't ease up at all as the adventures progress. Trust me. :)

My wife has been slowly reading my manuscript draft over the past couple of months (yeah, did I mention slooooooowly?) and last night she turns to me in bed as she's reading and says, "Some of this is really bad, babe." Like nightmare bad.

From what I've read so far in HMM, it's nice and creepy. Those Grauls aren't right, man. They aren't right at all!

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
My wife has been slowly reading my manuscript draft over the past couple of months (yeah, did I mention slooooooowly?) and last night she turns to me in bed as she's reading and says, "Some of this is really bad, babe." Like nightmare bad.

Well, that is good from one perspective, but bad for me and my kids. I'm probably out of Pathfinder now. Too bad, the production values are great, as is the content, but I own hundreds of adventures - I don't need more I probably won't run.

+5 Keyboard!

First Post
Zaukrie said:
Well, that is good from one perspective, but bad for me and my kids. I'm probably out of Pathfinder now. Too bad, the production values are great, as is the content, but I own hundreds of adventures - I don't need more I probably won't run.
Ah, but don't count yourself out so early on. There are sidebars included throughout with good suggestions for toning down elements that may be offensive to people. And if you read James's foreward for HMM, you'll notice he says he edited a lot of stuff out for being too over the top. I would expect the same thing to happen with my manuscript for #5, but I doubt I can compete with Nick's sick & twisted stuff.

Anyway, I applaud your concern with regards to exposing your children to stuff you feel would be inappropriate for them. That's just good parenting in my book, and I'll never fault anyone for that since there's such a lack of it these days.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Well, my first choice, actually, would be to join a group that is playing it, so I can play in these great adventures! That said, I'll certainly continue looking at them in the store. I bought the first one, and will glance at the second one when it finally gets into the FLGS where I shop.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to run deliverance (or that scary X-files episode with the inbred family - ewww) for the kids, but I am impressed with the work so far.

Stone Dog

Adventurer
ehren37 said:
Campy though? When I think of camp, I think tongue in cheek. The movie plays it straight all the way through and is pretty brutal.
Lost in Space was campy. Adventures of Brisco County Junior was campy. The Hills Have Eyes? You might think it was silly or foolish, but I can't see thinking it was camp.

GlassJaw

Hero
Stone Dog said:
Lost in Space was campy. Adventures of Brisco County Junior was campy. The Hills Have Eyes? You might think it was silly or foolish, but I can't see thinking it was camp.

Fair enough. Camp is the wrong word. How about "not scary" or "been there, done that"? Not saying it wasn't a mildly entertaining film, just that deformed creeps by themselves isn't scary.

If anything, the X-Files episode about the inbred family was MUCH scarier. Just thinking about that episode gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads