• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [Paizo] Life's Bazaar Question (SPOILERS!)

Archade

Azer Paladin
Something I've noticed. I'm running a party of four characters through Life's Bazaar. They've just cleaned out the upper level, and are headed down below.

They started as a Dwarf Ranger (0xp), a Svirfneblin Illusionist (6000xp), a Human Monk (0xp), and a half-elf Rogue (0xp).

Since then, the Monk has faded away / died, been replaced by a paladin who died, they hired a mercenary who ran off at the sight of a mimic that gakked the Paladin, and the Dwarf Ranger just got impaled by the Stone Spike doorman. Each time, I've had the player start a character one level below the party average.

The Rogue just hit 3rd level. So did the ranger, just before he died. The Illusionist is about to hit 2nd level, even with a hefty EL penalty of +3. And I've only been awarding 50% experience points.

The adventure says they should hit 4th level. I see them doing this even with the 50% XP award. Does this strike people as odd? Did other DMs find characters were above 4th level when the adventure was done? I'm curious...

Archade

Last edited:

Shaele

First Post
** minor spoiler alert **

I had the same problem with my group. Once I flushed out some of the "empty" map areas (i.e. the tunnel on the last map that my group just /had/ to explore in search of the rest of the missing townsfolk), they were 5th level.

At the time, I just figured that I must have padded the dungeon a little too much, but I guess I'm not the only one who had problems :)

It's not a problem, the next module in the series can be scaled up/down fairly easily.

Ozmar

First Post
That's interesting. Your experience almost exactly mirrors mine.

We've had about 12 characters so far? The first party got all but wiped out (one survivor) by the cruel pit traps. The second party got completely wiped out (no survivors) by the first automaton. Since then, they've been getting better, and there have been relatively few deaths. However, they did advance to 4th level before they made it down to Kazmojen's castle (by then the groups consisted of a 4th level pixie, a 3rd (+1ECL) level half-ogre barbarian, a 3rd level elven fighter/archer, and a 3rd level ghaele eladrin. In their initial foray into the Malachite Fortress, the ghaele died, the half-ogre was captured and the other two barely managed to escape alive.

Its a rough introduction to D&D! This adventure is tough on low level characters! I like it.

I have noted though, that regular gaming causes character advancement at a very rapid pace. I am planning to reduce XP awards by 50% to keep the advancement pace down a little. That should make it easier to plan adventures. My other campaign sky-rocketed to epic levels in about 2.5 years of gaming. That pace is ok, but I would like to spend a little more time at lower levels.

Ozmar the Stingy GM

Jaws

First Post
Savage Species

Ozmar said:
(by then the groups consisted of a 4th level pixie, a 3rd (+1ECL) level half-ogre barbarian, a 3rd level elven fighter/archer, and a 3rd level ghaele eladrin.
Interesting adventuring party. In our group, we have a pixie (using Savage Species racial levels), a giant (using Savage Species racial levels), a gnome, an elf, and a dwarf. Not one human among us. First time ever without having it preplanned that way.

I am only a player in this adventure, but I agree we are receiving XP way too fast.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Efpi

First Post
My players didn't explore the Jzadirune dungeon yet but after two games of investigation and small combats, one of them is lvl 2 and the others are about to level up too.

Ozmar

First Post
Interesting adventuring party. In our group, we have a pixie (using Savage Species racial levels), a giant (using Savage Species racial levels), a gnome, an elf, and a dwarf. Not one human among us. First time ever without having it preplanned that way.

No one I game with wants to play a human. Everyone wants to be some kind of furry or monstrous critter. Not that I am complaining, but for me, when I'm making a character, if I don't have a particular race in the concept, I default to human. They're just so darn useful. Plus you get a FREE FEAT! I keep telling them that, but no one wants to have a FREE FEAT! I mean, how can you turn down a FREE FEAT!?
:confused:

Ozmar the Human

Archade

Azer Paladin
Neat views guys, thanks!

I'm using this adventure as an re-introduction to D&D to some casual players.

During the first pit trap, the two experienced players fell in, leaving the two newcomers up above. They started hauling furniture onto the pit lid to try to spring it, while the other two hapless characters stood below and prayed ... ;>

The mimic they shot first, rather than negotiate. It wiped out a PC, then the svirfneblin caused blindness, allowing the rogue archer to sneak attack each round. Same with the stone spike below ...

Lojak

Explorer
I have been running a group of four through Life's Bazaar and we have moved on to Flood Season. No deaths so far. Well, one death but that was a character that was insane from the beginning and decided to murder a local aristocrat for no particular reason (actually he role-played his going over the edge very well).

That being said, I have deliberately taken it a bit easy because I seem to have a habit of TPWOs lately. The characters have consistently been about a level ahead of the adventure. Also, I have minimized the opportunities for combatants from neighboring areas to hear a fracass and come to join the fun (though this still happens from time to time). Even holding back though, there have been a couple of combats where a character nearly died. And my players have been generally very cautious (thanks to the history of player deaths at my hands I suspect).

All in all, its been a decent bit of fun. But a lot of that is what my players have brought to it.

Remove ads