• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT - SW] Official Episode 2 Opening Week Boycott Thread

Ristamar

Adventurer
I've read or scanned a fairly large number of reviews, and none really mentioned the drastic 'fuzziness' Ebert experienced, or at least to the extent of which he condemned it. I can only assume one or more of the following:

1) The print he saw was bad or out of focus or perhaps had other technical problems, as Eric mentioned.

2) He needs to clean his glasses and/or get a new prescription.

3) He exaggerated the problem.

On a side note, apparently Kevin Smith absolutely loved AotC. I certainly lend his opinion on the topic of Star Wars more credence than I would most celebrities or critics... but that's just me.

Last edited:

King_Stannis

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
[/color]
Good heavens, Wolfspider, it's not like we're talking about the decision on who to marry or anything like that! Just go see it! If you don't like it, you haven't lost much.

I liked Episode I. Sure, it had problems. I saw the movie at least three times before they started bothering me. I have tickets for two showings on Thursday, and I'm expecting it to be the best movie day for me since I saw Spider-man! OK, that's not that big a deal, since I just saw that a few weeks ago, but the point is, if you liked Episode I at all you really can't go wrong with Episode II. And if you didn't like Episode I at all you really oughtta seek out some kind of counselling regarding your expectations! ;)

well said, joshua.

by the way, here is a link to the company that sells mst3k tapes and dvd's.

http://www.rhinovideo.com/VidSearchAll.lasso?Series=MST3K

punKiac

First Post
Who Cares?

I mean I am not even gonna see it at all. The only reasons I ever felt compelled to go see it were b/c of a name or brand...but it has none of the qualities that made me enjoy the brand in the first place. If Jack in the Box strated serving human flesh I wouldn't eat there just b/c its Jack in the Box. I have morals. I go see movies if they have merit not if they have money. Money doesnot equal merit. Just because good people make a movie doesnot always means its good. People may say, "Yeah Phantom Menace had some weak points but it was still Star Wars." Whatever, Phantom Menace, in my opinion of course, was one the worst movies I have *ever* seen. I am including such abominations as "She's All That" in this comparsions as well.
Like people like the newest Rolling Stones Ablum purely because its the Stones or the new Stephen King novel just because their favorite writier wrote it, people will like (sigh) Attack of the Clones, can we say B-movie title, because its Star Wars. It is quite obvious such people do not enjoy objective thinking or the responibility it implies. What is sad is how much others will profit off of the lazy minds of these people. It is quite sick and pathetic.

Wishing he was the reincarnation of Diogenes,
Charlie Killme, the punKiac

Ristamar

Adventurer
Re: Who Cares?

punKiac said:
I mean I am not even gonna see it at all. The only reasons I ever felt compelled to go see it were b/c of a name or brand...but it has none of the qualities that made me enjoy the brand in the first place. If Jack in the Box strated serving human flesh I wouldn't eat there just b/c its Jack in the Box. I have morals. I go see movies if they have merit not if they have money. Money doesnot equal merit. Just because good people make a movie doesnot always means its good. People may say, "Yeah Phantom Menace had some weak points but it was still Star Wars." Whatever, Phantom Menace, in my opinion of course, was one the worst movies I have *ever* seen. I am including such abominations as "She's All That" in this comparsions as well.
Like people like the newest Rolling Stones Ablum purely because its the Stones or the new Stephen King novel just because their favorite writier wrote it, people will like (sigh) Attack of the Clones, can we say B-movie title, because its Star Wars. It is quite obvious such people do not enjoy objective thinking or the responibility it implies. What is sad is how much others will profit off of the lazy minds of these people. It is quite sick and pathetic.

Well, I hate to be the one to break this to ya, chief, but the older titles were B-movie titles, as well.

And while I respect your opinion, I'd have to say that I've easily seen far, far, far worse movies than TPM... Wing Commander, Ghosts of Mars, and The Musketeer, to name a few.

I won't even comment on your diatribe on the sheep-like mentality of the masses... in this case, I'll just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post

punKiac said:
I mean I am not even gonna see it at all. <snip, blah blah>
It is quite obvious such people do not enjoy objective thinking or the responibility it implies. What is sad is how much others will profit off of the lazy minds of these people. It is quite sick and pathetic.

Sheesh, Charlie! First post and you imply that anyone who liked TPM has no objectivity?

Not a good start :sad

Or are you Wolfspider in disguise? :D

If Jack in the Box strated serving human flesh I wouldn't eat there just b/c its Jack in the Box. I have morals.

Ummmm, what? What is the anaology you are trying to draw here? I think something was lost in translation.

Anyway I'm glad you aren't going to see it - at least you can make a stand one way or another (*nudges Wolfspider*).

Dr Midnight

Explorer

punKiac said:
It is quite obvious such people do not enjoy objective thinking or the responibility it implies. What is sad is how much others will profit off of the lazy minds of these people. It is quite sick and pathetic.

Mind swirling with clever put-downs, counterarguments, comebacks, and dissections. Can't... pick one...

Funny stuff. I especially like that because you have morals, you won't enjoy cannibalism at the local fast-food joint or see a new Star Wars movie.

"Hey, new Star Wars movie. Wanna see it?"

"No. I have morals."

"That's too bad. Hey, Jack in the Box have strated serving human flesh... wanna go get a burger?"

"No!"

"You're all right, Punkiac. You must enjoy that objective thinking stuff I've only heard smart people talk about." (munches on human cutlet)

Last edited:

King_Stannis

Explorer

punKiac said:

well, much as i may disagree with everything you say, i will say this - at least you're being consistent by not going to the movie at all. your arguments are silly and twisted, but at least you're sticking to your guns and not deluding yourself with this self-gratifying one-week boycott.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Ristamar said:
One a side note, apparently Kevin Smith absolutely loved AotC. I certainly lend his opinion on the topic of Star Wars more credence than I would most celebrities or critics... but that's just me.

Wow. Really? Kevin Smith loved it? :eek:

Consider my doubts and worries completely dispelled. I'll be there opening day! :D

(If you can't tell, I really respect Kevin Smith's opinion.)

RiggsWolfe

First Post

punKiac said:
I mean I am not even gonna see it at all. The only reasons I ever felt compelled to go see it were b/c of a name or brand...but it has none of the qualities that made me enjoy the brand in the first place. ...... It is quite obvious such people do not enjoy objective thinking or the responibility it implies. What is sad is how much others will profit off of the lazy minds of these people. It is quite sick and pathetic.

You know, can barely express my feelings about this post. Let me just put it in the simplest terms. The post author ( a first time poster nonetheless which makes me suspect it's someone else hiding their real identity) essentially says if you like Phantom Menance and intend to see AOTC you're a sheep. To me, a sheep would be not going to see the movie simply because of pressure from people like him.

Guess what? I legitimately liked TPM. I liked it much better than ROTJ, though not as much as ANH and ESB. That doesn't make me some mindless drone, a moth drawn to Lucas' candle. That makes me a person with an opinion different than yours. And truly, I think that it's easier to join the bandwagon of TPM-bashers than to admit you liked it.

You tell me, which position is more in line with the unwashed masses?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads