• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oots #424

Agent Oracle

First Post
delericho said:
True. Although it works less well with any spell with a saving throw (since the Wizard's save DC is likely higher than the scroll's), or the need to beat SR (since the Wizard likely has a higher caster level).

And, in fact, Dismissal is particularly bad, since not only does it allow SR, but it also has a 'special' save DC that incorporates the caster level.

Mmm... that may all be true, but frankly, I normally play a scribe-wizard. Spells i don't normally memorize (yet are still in my scrollbook) get at least one scroll writing.

Still, i would prepare "Dimensional Anchor" over "Dismissal" (a way to guarantee those pesky teleporters stay in one spot). It's better to have a scroll than nothing at all.

What i really want to know is: What level is Feather fall (mass)?

Quartz

Hero
Wizards should be walking libraries. With so few spells slots to memorise, they should be going for scrolls (and potions and wands) first - and since they've written them, it's within a level or two of their caster level etc.

BTW Did V's second Dismissal actually work?

Vorput said:
Actually, after the stained glass golem and 'brass' golem in MM2... none of those sound THAT odd ;)

And let's not forget the MM3 winners- the Mud golem and the hangman golem....

Vorp
Odd golems are nothing new, just about any inanimate matter or humanoid-shaped inanimate object can be a golem it appears. The Stained Glass Golem was a 2e monster, even in the 2e Monstrous Manual (along with Doll Golems, Gargoyle Golems, and Scarecrow Golems in addition to the normal Iron/Stone/Flesh/Clay types)

Shadowslayer

Explorer
delericho said:
All of which is irrelevant - I enjoyed the strip a great deal, both for the reminder that V is extremely competent (perhaps second only to Durkon), and for the punchline.

Whoa hold on now. :confused: Second to Durkon? V screws up a lot less than Durkon does.

Othewise, I agree. Its nice to watch V rock the house. :cool:

Shadowslayer said:
Whoa hold on now. :confused: Second to Durkon? V screws up a lot less than Durkon does.

Othewise, I agree. Its nice to watch V rock the house. :cool:

I don't think V is that competent, actually. He almost never makes Concentration checks (what kind of mid-level caster can't cast spells while gooped?) and other than Protection from Arrows, I've never seen him cast a defensive spell. No wonder he got his butt kicked the first time the PCs faced off against Xykon, or when he faced the gnome druid.

There was a thread a while ago about the "players" behind the PCs in OOTS. I theorized that V's player isn't a great tactician or doesn't have much experience with DnD, but he is at least reasonably intelligent (shown when he finally Nale the last time, among other incidents).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
VoidAdept said:
I loved the panel when V dusted him/herself off and the looks on the first and third elementals when they got dismissed.
It's as if V took a move action to glare and dust Vself off. Y'know because V could.

Remove ads