• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One Remote to Rule Them All

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
I'd just like to share this: The Logitech Harmony 670 is awesome (actually, the whole Harmony series).

It's the first remote I've found at a reasonable price (CDN$120) that could tame all my stuff. You load the software on your PC, you select the models of your stuff, it asks you a few questions ("do you use your tv for volume, or your home theater system"), you plug in the remote, and voilà! ..and in the darkness bind them. :D

I just wanted to share, for all those that suffered 2, 3 even 4 remotes like I did!

Arnwyn

First Post
Yes, indeed.

I have the Harmony 688 that I got a year ago for CDN$99 (crazy sale and I got lucky). It's pretty darn good.

I understand that the newer (very expensive) ones do RF as well. I wonder if any do Bluetooth?

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Ranger REG said:
What's the catch on Logitech remotes, that I can't with a $20 pre-programmed universal remotes?

I've spent $100 in $20 "universal" remotes, only to find I still need another one for one or two functions. If your $20 remote does the job, more power to you. If, like me, you can't get rid of that second or third remote, go Logitech.

The database they have online has just about every consumer product in existence, and it's stupidly easy to configure if you need 2 or three pieces of hardware to receive inputs. E.g. DVD player, with home theater on the right setting, and the TV using the right input, and the volume set by the home theater instead of the TV.

My $0.02

ssampier

First Post
How bulky is the remote? Second, can it withstand drops (I have butter fingers :( )? Lastly, what's the signal strength? Do I have to point at the device precisely or is a bounced wall good enough?

For universal remotes, I never have the attention span to program them properly.

Ranger REG

Explorer
ssampier said:
Second, can it withstand drops (I have butter fingers :( )?
Yeah, for $100, it should survive multiple 4-foot drops to the concrete floor.

Otherwise, couldn't Logitech make a PC-programmable 6-device remote for less than $90?

ssampier said:
For universal remotes, I never have the attention span to program them properly.
And you want to get Logitech? :\

John Crichton

First Post
I'm on my second right now.

I used the 688 for a while and am now on the 890. It has survived countless drops to the hard floor. This series is great for setups that have multiple components and activities associated with them.

I click the "Play Xbox 360" button and it fires up the TV, sets it to the proper HDMI input, turns on the receiver and puts it to the right output channel, turns my audio switcher to the right optical output and then turns on the 360 itself. I don't even need to pick up a controller if I just want to watch a HD-DVD. The same goes for the rest of the components except for the PS3 as it works on Bluetooth only.

It is needed? No. Does it make my setup that I spent a decent amount of money on already even easier to use, especially for my tech impaired GF? Yes.

GlassJaw

Hero
Ranger REG said:
And you want to get Logitech? :\

Not really sure why you are so critical of Logitech's universal remotes REG as it's pretty obvious you haven't used or researched them. They come highly recommend and a great bang for the buck in their price range.

The Harmony 670 would be my choice as well for a universal remote.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
ssampier said:

You only have to program them once, unless you change components. And there's no cryptic key codes to enter. It's a Web-based interface that does this:

1) Updates with the global consumer product database at Logitech
2) Asks you which models of the stuff you have (even includes a little card on which to write the model numbers for convenience)
3) Asks you a few questions about how you want all of your stuff to work. Inputs, volume, etc.
4) Downloads config to the remote.

That's it.

EDIT: Signal strength seems decent, although I have brick walls which are quite a ways away, and it's only sometimes that the signal gets through. I assume that with gypsum walls you wouldn't have much trouble bouncing it around.

Last edited:

borc killer

First Post
I have the 659 and absolutely love it. Through away over $100 on other junk remotes before I got this one. Had it for... 2 years? Maybe 3. Dropped it dozens and dozens of times and have had no issues. I am a cheep arse person and took me a long time to decide to pay that much for it… but once I did I never looked back.

I have a TV, receiver, DVD, VCR/DVD-R, HD PVR from the cable and an Xbox. It found all the devices (and let me easily add the Xbox later) and let me configure what buttons I wanted accessed on the display screen, something no other remote will let you do in this price range. You can’t understand the joy of that feature until you used it.

The software is easy to use and has a great GUI that has been updated and improved over the years as well as the compatibility with my devices. If you have something new and cutting edge or some funky off brand item odds are the remote will fully support it now or in the very near future.

Remove ads