New Wizard Feat

Ok, I had an idea for a rather unusual feat and I wanted to get an opinion on if it would be overpowered or not.
Simplify Spell

The use of this feat allows the caster to memorize a spell at one level lower than normal. All aspects of the spell remain the same except for the casting time. Casting time increases by a factor of 10. This feat will allow you to cast spells higher level than you can normally cast but only if you have already sucessfully written them into your spellbook.

Opinions?

I am also considering adding the clause that the feat does not function on spells with XP costs.

Magic Rub

First Post
This feat has some big ol' flaws in it.

Can it be used on a meta spell like "Stillspell"?
Feather fall with a 10rnd casting time...? I can see it now, the mage is on the last word in his spell to save him from a fall *SPLAT!* :eek:

Yup back to the drawing board.

Crothian

First Post
This may surprise some of you, but wizards have spells that are not combat related. THis meta magic feat is designed for those spells. I like it.

Crothian wins the prize. ;)

The only possible flaw I see in the spell is I would definately use it for all of my non-combat 1st level spells. I would then throw them into my cantrip spell slots and get decent spells out of them. Which might then be too good since right now zero level spells are a joke rarely ever bothered with by spellcasters.

Crothian said:
This may surprise some of you, but wizards have spells that are not combat related. THis meta magic feat is designed for those spells. I like it.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Magic Rub said:

Again I ask...

Why wouldn't it? All meta magic feats can be used together unless noted otherwise. I expect this cannot be used with quicken, other then that they all should work with it.

Taloras

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Crothian wins the prize. ;)

The only possible flaw I see in the spell is I would definately use it for all of my non-combat 1st level spells. I would then throw them into my cantrip spell slots and get decent spells out of them. Which might then be too good since right now zero level spells are a joke rarely ever bothered with by spellcasters.

What about detect magic? thats a pretty handy 0 level spell. Our mage always has at least 1 or 2 of those memorized. then when we go through a dungeon, when we have killed everything, he casts it and walks back through for anything we missed.

Remove ads