• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E @$#&!! My Funny Bone!!!: Critical Hit Cards from Paizo

Blastin

First Post
I just got mine the other day and read through them. Very cool. I do agree that the magic line is kinda silly and won't use it, but I really like all the weapon effects. I figure I'll let the players choose. If they confirm a crit they can just go by normal rules or they can pick a card (or 2). I figure that they will use it for fun or against the nasty fights, but not against the grunts...we'll see though.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
One thing I think they'd do great is with recurring NPCs- the big bad suffers one of the crits, then next time the party sees him he's got a permanent limp (or shows up as an ally, having been given amnesia from a blow to the head!). Heck, after suffering from some of those criticals, maybe even a lowly orc minion would try to escape, only to turn up at a later time and seek revenge on the guy who carved his initials in his forehead.

Blastin

First Post
yup...finally got to use em too...My account is also in the above linked thread. The short of it: it defiantly added some tactics to the combat, in a good way.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
They finally got use in my AOW campaign when in 3 Faces of Evil the halfling rouge was scouting ahead and was at a door when it opened suddenly. She hid behind the door as it opened and 2 tieflings moved past her down the narrow corridor. They were there to slow down the PC's so that the rest of the Hextor temple could prep a defense. They failed to notice her so she drew down on them with her short bow as a surprise attack and promptly rolled a 20 and then rolled an 18 for a confirm on the crit.

The player drew a card from the deck and picked IN A ROW: Double damage to target and normal damage to adjacent target. So basically the arrow hit and killed the first tiefling (regular double damage + sneak attack damage) passed through him and then wounded the second one. The wounded one tried to make it to end of the corridor to gain some sort of cover from the sniper and got rushed by the Paladin and the monk laying in wait on either side of the other end of the passageway.

There was much rejoicing especially since the encounter just before this the party got really roughed up by a Dire Boar.

The Critical Hit cards? AWESOME.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Meloncov said:
How does it manage different crit multipliers?

If the Crit multiplier is x2, you draw one card.

x3, you draw two cards and choose whichever effect you prefer. x4, three cards and choose the one you want. Etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads