• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E @$#&!! My Funny Bone!!!: Critical Hit Cards from Paizo

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I think a seperate Magic deck would have been better, with effects for different energy types.

(Never let it be said that I can't overdesign a good idea.)

Steel_Wind

Legend
jdrakeh said:
The only thing that puzzles me are the entries for "magic" -- obviously these results assume damage-causing spells, but are they meant to alter spell effects, as well? Because they do. And that seems a bit off, to me. Just sayin' ;)

There are very few spells in the core rules which have the ability to critical. The most commonly used spell from the PhB which does is the Scorching Ray (There are some other directed spells that do as well; but we all know that Monte Cook did not design 3E to integrate concepts from Rolemaster, right? :roll eyes: )

Adjust the flavor text to compensate if the spell effect is different.

Wulf Ratbane said:
I think a seperate Magic deck would have been better, with effects for different energy types.

(Never let it be said that I can't overdesign a good idea.)

If you are picky and that's not good enough for you - well- there is this little game called Rolemaster that has always been the best system available for describing individual critical effects.

Getting out those RM tables and making card decks for them is not that hard...

Steel_Wind said:
There are very few spells in the core rules which have the ability to critical.
All rays can critical. I've seen sorcerer builds with improved critical (ray).

Wulf, over design? This is a bunch of cards in the place of a single page with a d100 table on it.

Steel_Wind

Legend
jmucchiello said:
All rays can critical. I've seen sorcerer builds with improved critical (ray).

Wulf, over design? This is a bunch of cards in the place of a single page with a d100 table on it.

Yeah I know.

As for Rolemaster ... we've been talking about going back to RM2 for a while (my group played RM for 16 years and came back with the release of 3E). We loved RM2 - we always did (RMSS' chargen is what ticked us off).

It's still a little early for us to go back. I think we've got 2-3 years of D&D 3.5 left in us before we go back to RM in a serious way. But I got to admit, reading those critical effects on Paizo's site got me jonesing for crits again.

Besides, one of the reason we came back to D&D was to get the benefit of having monthly magazines supporting our game. Best comment on cancellation of Dungeon and Dragon I read here was "I am stunned and unable to parry."

QFT.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The magic entries are ridiculous - but the rest is cool.

I, however, will stick with my own crit result tables. . .

MarkB

Legend
Personally, I like the magic effects. If the mundane effects are characters using weapons to do just a little bit more than they can do by the RAW, why shouldn't spellcasters be able to add an extra twist to their spells if they happen to cast them just right?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So I strike a foe with a flameblade really well and suddenly they start laughing? Or an illusion appears?

I know "it's magic", but for my own personal tastes and view of it, it makes no sense.

As Wulf said, a separate version by energy/magic type makes a lot more sense.

Agamon

Adventurer
My only problem with these is that they're kinda pointless. A small extra effect on a monster that's going to die in a round or two? And, as the cards say, they shouldn't be used very often against PCs, where the effects are more measurable, but much more punishing.

I heart Gamemastery, but not this product.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
We've been using the deck in my Age of Worms campaign for months, and a lot of the effects add a significant degree of tactical complexity to encounters. I'm very pleased with the product.

--Erik

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads