Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

kensanata

Explorer
greywulf said:
TWF adds +1 to AC. I like.

I'm just wondering: Why would anybody be using a shield instead? On the other hand, the Kitsunemori Campaign Setting I'm using has one particular weapon, the Tessen (a war-fan), that can be used as a shield, ie. it grants AC +1. I must confess that I thought it only granted this bonus if you did not attack in the same round. I'm not sure what to think of it all.

greywulf said:
My players like to roll, and a lone Rogue can do a lot of damage from the shadows even when outnumbered. I'd say this is more of a case-by-case thing.

You provided some excellent examples for non-melee situations. In these situations, I would rule just like you did. How do you handle it in combat, however? D&D 3.5 says you get the sneak attack whenever you're flanking your enemy. No extra rolls required, right? My players just felt it was so unfair to do a sub+DEX vs sub+DEX check to "sneak", succeed, and then roll again for an attack, and miss...

greywulf said:
I'm going to trawl through this thread and add the best of the House Rules to the Macropedia site and Big Shiny itself. That's going to take a while, so any volutneer assistance would be gratefully received!

I think you won't find too many ideas that are not already on the wiki. I've added all the ones I liked. ;) And a lot of them have been added by their respective authors. Unless you wanted to add all the Rank20 and Ultramicrolight20 stuff as well...

greywulf said:
I'm also going to grab a copy of this thread and post it someplace just in case a Great Server Crash at ENWorld takes down all your valuable input. That'll never do.

I occasionally save a plain-text copy of the thread as well. Perhaps we should add bbcode to Oddmuse so that we can just copy the plaintext file on the wiki... :)

greywulf said:

How weird. I find this totally not interesting, but I'm sure I could just rattle down 20 critters in 20 minutes without using a generator. See next post...

greywulf

First Post
kensanata said:
I'm just wondering: Why would anybody be using a shield instead?

1) Because you can only use two light weapons (or a rapier + light). If you want to use a medium weapon like a longsword, use a shield
2) You're a cleric so can't twf.

kensanata said:
I would rule just like you did. How do you handle it in combat, however? D&D 3.5 says you get the sneak attack whenever you're flanking your enemy. No extra rolls required, right? My players just felt it was so unfair to do a sub+DEX vs sub+DEX check to "sneak", succeed, and then roll again for an attack, and miss...

I say "that's a cool plan, you get Sub damage on your next hit automatically". If they miss, there's a (slim) chance that the victim didn't notice the attack, so roll Sub+DEX again next round (with a -2 penalty) and try again. Maybe. Depends on the situation and how nice I'm feeling.

Re: the other House Rules. I'm sure there's some things we've missed however, expecially about initiative and two-weapon fighting. I'll go on a threadhunt.

kensanata said:
II occasionally save a plain-text copy of the thread as well. Perhaps we should add bbcode to Oddmuse so that we can just copy the plaintext file on the wiki... :)

Make it so, Number One! a bbcode module for oddmuse would be kind funky, y'know.

kensanata said:
How weird. I find this totally not interesting, but I'm sure I could just rattle down 20 critters in 20 minutes without using a generator. See next post...

I look forward to it :) I've a strange fondness for wierd monsters. I think it goes back to my early D&D roots with all the kooky critters from early Dragon magazines, Wihte Dwarf, the Creature Catalogue, etc. Here's a list of classic OD&D monsters from official products. A lot of those names will be unfamiliar to newer d20 gamers, I'll bet :) Thankfully a lot have been converted over the years.

I also remember a blue landscape format book I have which contained a shedload of monsters I used to throw at my players, including the wonderful Land Shark I used to great effect as mounts for hobgoblin raiders. Can't for the life of me remember the title of the book though.

kensanata

Explorer
Critters

Frozen

Rabid Ice Bear: 3d8+6 (19hp), AC 11, claws +5 (2d4+4). Once it hits, apply 2d4+4 crushing damage automatically. Blot-shot eyes, and tons of saliva. Something's wrong with this bear! Anybody bitten by the bear save phys+STR vs. DC15 after combat or suffer STR-1, MIND-1. Next morning, save phys+STR vs. DC15 again if you failed after combat. If you fail again, suffer STR+2, DEX-1, MIND-3, and blood-shot eyes. Heal as normal ability damage.

Storm Yeti: 5d8+10 (33hp), AC 13, slam +8 (1d6+3). A huge hulking shadow moving in the shadows amidst the raging blizzard. Will you venture forth and investigate? Meet the angry Yeti who resents trespassers. Sub 8 during a snow storm for a surprise slam!

Ice Wolf: 1d8+2 (7hp), AC 12, bite +2 (1d4+1). Ice wolves usually hunt in packs of 15 or more wolves, staying out of range, picking on any stragglers, preventing any decent rest (no healing or recovery from magic drain when surrounded by wolves out on the ice), attacking when the party is weak, such as after a fight with an angry bear.

Frozen Shaman: Undead, 3d8 (13hp), damage resistance: 5/slashing, AC 15, slam +3 (1d4), magic missile every odd round (1d6+3). Evil shamans are often left behind by the wandering tribes to die in the ice. Some of them cling to their life beyond all reason, however, and thus their dessicated corpses walk the frozen wasteland in the search of warmth & food. It will try to sneak into a camp, release pack animals, and steal as many provisions as possible. Frozen shamans will only fight to save their lives. They're more interested in the food.

Greater Ruaarz: 9d8+18 (58hp), damage resistance: 5/fire, AC 17, bite +11 (2d6+4), cold breadth every odd round (2d6+2). These giant ice snakes can travel hidden below the snow or below the ice (Sub 12) to approach their prey. They'll raise their ugly head up to twice the height of a man to release a minor ice storm from their bellies, and then swoop down to kill the most foolish of their enemies who dared approach them. Once it has killed its first enemy, it will drag him down below the ice or snow and start to retreat. If left alone, the one victim will satiate it for many weeks to come.

Temperate Forest

Stick Man: 2d8 (9hp), damage resistance: 5/fire, axe, AC 16, slam +2 (1d6+4). These animated stick men look frail and thin, but they are fast, hard as iron wood, and animated by a furious spirit bent on kicking out the intruders. Usually you'll find 6-12 of them defending a particular area. They won't pursue retreating foes unless set on fire using oil or magic, in which case they will die in two rounds anyway.

Oak Golem: 7d8+14 (46hp), damage resistance: 5/fire, axe, AC 17, slam +11 (1d10+8). A gnarled old tree sitting atop some boulders suddenly turns to life. Wood and stone start shifting and form into a very broad roughly humanoid with fists the size of an whole halfling. These golems will not start a fight on their own as they're usually fast asleep unless set ablaze or wakened by other wooden creatures such as stick men. Setting them afire using oil or magic will destroy them in four rounds. In those final rounds, they can tear boulders from their dying bodies and hurl them (3d6+3).

Fox Spirit: 2d8 (9hp), AC 15, composite short-bow & arrows +5 (1d6), short sword +2 (1d6). The fox spirits usually travel in hunting bands of 12-20 at night and are used as scouts by other forest spirits.

Beech Child: 1d8 (5hp), damage resistance: 5/fire, axe, AC 10, slam +1 (1). As you approach the tree overgrown with moss, you recognize the shape of a naked child leaning against the tree. It's skin is brown and green, as if overgrown with moss itself, and it's eyes have that magenta stare. In fact, the stare will daze all that look at it (save com+MIND vs 15 or be dazed for 1d4 rounds), and the child's touch will slow any that are hit (save phys+MIND vs 20 or be slowed for 1d4+3 rounds). These children of the woods are usually seen on their own, with 4-12 fox spirits hiding in waiting to shoot down anybody who trespasses.

Wicker King: 10d8 (45hp), damage resistance: 5/fire, axe, AC 15, greatsword +14/+9/+4 (1d10+8). Usually found governing an enchanted forest from the darkest grove, the horned wicker king will only join battle after having summoned all his allies. A typical wicker king will have two or three oak golems and up to fifty stick men to fight for him.

Last edited:

kensanata

Explorer
Tonight I created a character for my girlfriend. It seems like we're going to try a little one-on-one gaming. I don't think I would have gone through with it using the D&D 3.5 rules. M20 was just right. :)

Pilsnerquest

First Post
Tonight I created a character for my girlfriend. It seems like we're going to try a little one-on-one gaming. I don't think I would have gone through with it using the D&D 3.5 rules. M20 was just right.

Hah! I don't blame you, sometimes I don't even go through with it for myself.

Lately for 3.5 it's been "fighter", "toughness" for all feats, low enough INT so there's no skill computing, armor/shield/weapon, "Bam!", done.

Pilsnerquest

Cymew

First Post
So, was there anyone out there with a Microsoft OS that can help me run that Pocketmod thingie on the B/X spells?

Can't someone do a version for a proper OS?

Cymew

First Post
Some stuff looked a bit odd, like there was no lines deliminating tha pages on the right hand side. On the other hand it was just a costmetic oddity. The great news is that the spells from Basic, Expert and Companion rules fit on just a few of the 8 pages. I need to fill it up with some more...

Great tool! Thanks again! pstops is "da thing"!

Last edited:

Remove ads